Chapter Eighteen: The Heroine and the Villainess

After an hour of exchanging information, I learned that in her past life, Elaine was a girl from Japan who died at thirteen. Elaine had much less of a connection to her past life than I did, and carried no memories of any personal relationships. Honestly, she and I both were surprised that she knew what MMA fighting was, and figured she must have been a fan of it in her past life since her memories were so limited. Elaine had regained her memories around the same time that I had, but due to her lack of knowledge from her past life, her personality had not changed as drastically as mine.

"Did you know that this was a game?" I asked. The two of us sat adjacent to each other in an empty class room.

"I knew that this was a game, and who the main characters were, but other than that I didn't know anything else. I'm assuming that I didn't play this in my past life, but I may have found out about it if it was as popular as you say it is." She replied, resting her head on her hand.

"I'm still shocked that you remember so much, not just about the game, but about your life. It must be difficult." Elaine said, gazing out the large glass window.

"Yeah," I admitted, sitting back in my chair.

"It's a bit of a pain, but it has helped me create a path for myself."

"I'm glad," Elaine smiled. From our conversation, I learned that Elaine was just as sweet and kind as she was in the game. However, the girl sitting in front of me was much spunkier than the original character. The best was to describe it would be comparing a puppy to a kitten. She was still sweet and cute, but also would not hesitate to scratch you if you pissed her off. I think I liked this Elaine better.

"Anyways, I don't have too much planned for the future. Honestly, I only agreed to go to school here because of my mom. She was so excited when I manifested light magic and got into this school... I didn't want to upset her." Elaine said, and then after a short pause, she turned to me and grabbed my hand.

"I don't think I said it earlier, but I really wanted to thank you for stopping the plague. You didn't mention it when you explained the plot to me, but knowing how these kinds of stories develop, I am sure that my mother died in the original game. You don't have to worry about keeping that from me, my mother is alive now thanks to you."

"Oh, uhm, it's not a big deal. If anything I was being reckless." I laughed nervously, rubbing the back of my neck.

"No Callista, you need to understand how important you are. I know that I am technically the main character of this game, but the differences you have made since you got here have been insane. Honestly, there was a lot I wanted to do while I learned about this world, but as a commoner, it was hard to accomplish much of anything. However, you have the ability to make a big difference here, and if possible, I really want to help you. It is the least I can do to thank you for saving my mother."

Elaine had taken my hands again, holding them tightly. She looked at me with such sincere eyes... I couldn't refuse.

"Well, I'm still not sure how my future is going to play out, but it would be nice to have a friend like you by my side." I smiled.

"Yay! I was hoping you would say that!" Elaine exclaimed, pulling me into a hug.

"So," She began, once she pulled away, a grin spreading across her face.

"What do you think of Prince Philip?"

"That bastard? He's an annoying little bitch, you met him, you know what I'm talking about, right?"

"I see the two of you get a long well," Elaine laughed.

"You're one to talk. Aren't you the one who everyone's infatuated with." I retorted.