Chapter Thirty-Six: A Snake Appears

I stepped onto the white marble floor as if it was a pond covered in ice. While I was still giddy from the positive response I had received from the people outside, there was no garentee that my reception here would be the same. With one wrong step the ice would crack, and I would find myself struggling to stay afloat in icy water. If I had learned anything from the "Titanic" movie in my past life, it was that I should avoid swimming in below freezing temperatures if possible. Oh, and also that Jack should have fit on that fucking door. 

My grip on Philip's arm tightened as we entered the ballroom, causing him to glance at me with a hint of worry. I gave him a small smile before straightening my back and holding my head high. If the nobility insisted on looking down on me, then I would make sure to stand taller and force them to look up. 

Elaine and Caden had only entered the ballroom a minute or so before us, so the guests already had their eyes on the door when we walked in. This was probably the largest ball that I had ever attended, given the fact that almost all of the nobility in Findara were invited. So, when the entire room grew silent at our appearance, I felt my heart drop into my stomach. 

Then, just like the beginning of a down poor, a sprinkle of applause growing into a rain storm as the entire nobility gave us an ovation. I looked at Philip in shock, his emerald green eyes staring back at me as he showed a warm and knowing smile. 

"You did it," He whispered, leaning in so that only I could hear. 

"You proved to all of them that you were a badass bitch." 

It took all of my power to keep from cackling like an old hag as I brought a hand to my mouth to stifle my laughter. I was hoping that it would look like a dainty giggle, though it probably resembled that of someone trying to hold in their vomit. 

Philip and I crossed the ballroom to where Caden and Elaine stood with proud smiles. I noticed that Caden held Elaine's waist tightly with one arm, struggling to keep her from throwing herself on me. 

"Callista!" Elaine said excitedly as Prince Philip and I approached her. Though we had just seen each other moments before, she acted as if we were meeting for the first time in years. 

"Look at how everyone reacted, they love you!" Elaine celebrated, grabbing one of my hands. 

"Not just Callista, but you as well Elaine," My brother said, his eyes filling with pride as he looked down at the girl. 

"I'm pretty sure that there were people who started to tear up just at the sight of you." 

"Yo- you're exaggerating, they were probably looking at you. This is the second year you've won the tournament, you have no idea how much my neighbors ask me about you." Elaine retorted.

"You talk about me?"

"That's not-"

"Okay lovebirds, that's enough," Prince Philip interjected, chuckling as both Caden and Elaine lit up like a red stop light. 

"Caden, we should go ahead and start making our rounds now. If we work together, then we may be able to finish faster," Prince Philip sighed. 

Both Caden and Prince Philip struggled when it came to large events. Even though they were both talented when it came to social skills, a large party such as this was still daunting. Especially for Caden who remained single and had to deal with the many marriage offers from both noble girls and their parents. On the other hand, Prince Philip had to deal with the many nobles who wanted to gain his support on their political endeavors. If they could, they would trap him in conversation for hours while they attempted to weasel their way into his good graces.