Fourteen.

After breakfast I decided to take a troll up to the library, where I saw Kyle sauntering around the room with a few books in his hand. "Hey, Kyle, wait up!" I catch up to him just as he turns arounds and proceeds to walk backwards, "Ah, couldn't handle being away from my undeniable good looks, huh?" I roll my eyes and playfully punch his arms, "Did you enjoy my muffin?" 

"Eh, not as much as I enjoyed stealing it away from you."

"You owe me for that!" 

"Not really, you shouldn't have had a muffin out in the open." 

I roll my eyes at the remark and walk out the library without a final word, I head toward the dorm building where Brennan is leaning on the steel plate hung to the wall, "Ah, new girl, how are you?" 

"I'm great, and I kind of have a name."

"Rainne, correct?"

"Yeah, it's Rainne."

"That's a pretty sweet name, but I have one question?"

"What is that?"

"Where's the thunder?"

He goes into this moment of extreme laughture, I don't even let the conversation continue before reaching towards the door. Just as I did his laughing stopped and he shut the door back, "Wait, where are you going?" 

"My room, why?"

"I wanted to talk to you."

"About what?

"About anything, man, you're super pale,"

"Excuse me?"

"Sorry, I was thinking out loud."

"Like that Ed Sheeran song?"

Suddenly, he breaks into song. He sounds a lot like Ed, but with a more jazzy voice. 'Wow, you have a great voice."

"Thanks, no tone death in me."

"You mean tone deaf."

"Same thing, I'm a pretty amazing singer. So what are your plans later?"

"Sleeping, and just a word of advice, you shouldn't be so arrogant, people would like you more."

I open the door and walk into the elevators, and then walk into my dorm where I find Victoria and Alex on the bed making out intensely. They were so into it I literally could not get their attention even if I bashed their skulls with the potted plant on the desk. 

"Get a room."

Victoria flutters her eyes open and looks at me, "We're in a room."

"The wrong one."

They ignore me and I decided there was no getting them out so I might as well just leave myself. I walk out the dorm building into and back into the courtyard where Kyle sat under the same oak with books, notepads, and pens surrounding him. He looks up at me and smiles, "Hello, Rainne, please sit." He clears an area under and shade and I sit next to him, examining the books. "What are you reading?" He closes the cover of the box his nose was buried in and states, "Detective type things, kind of like being a little Sherlock Holmes."

I look at his notebook where synoposises of autopsy reports are chicken scratched all over. I grab the notebook and start flipping the pages until coming across a page with blue ink writing all over it. He looks over at me and snatches the notebook out my hands, I glare at him, "Why did you take that?"

"No reason."

"Kyle, what was that?"

"It's nothing...it's really dumb."

"May I read it...pretty please? You do owe me after all."

He reluctantly gives me the notebook and I notice the handwriting is in cursive, a vine with small leaves and roses border around it:

"And then I saw her, the fragile white rose planted right next to me.
Her skin is perfectly layered blankets of snow, her eyes are evergreens, forever sparkling through it's cover.
She wasn't any white rose, she was once a joyful yellow rose, overtaken by purity that hasn't covered saturated the yellow quite yet, but turned it into platinum.
A beautiful specimen, she is, but there is one issue I have yet to solved. 

What I see is not on her surface. That snow is covered by the dark cloths that extend down to her snowy fingertips where the shine of her golden nailbeds are hidden under them. 
The evergreens that are as beautiful and big as the sun finally over the horizon is covered by the platinum strands.

I feel something about her is missing, I will never know what it is.
I feel as if she doesn't know this about her.
She doesn't know that I notice." 

I read the last stanza over and over again before shutting the book, Kyle stares at me assuming the worst. "Oh, Kyle...it's beautiful!" I keep the words in the back of  my mind, "I never knew you were a writer."

"I'm not a writer..well, not really. I just had an inspiration."

"Wow, well it must be one hell of an inspiration, that was amazing."

We sit in pure silence a moment, he goes back to his studies and scribbling into his notebook with what I'm sure is more autopsy reports. 

"Rainne?"

"Yes?"

He takes a long deep sigh and looks up at me, "Look, I really do l---"

"RAAAINNE!"

I look up and Avery is sprinting over to me and grabbing my wrist as fast as lightning, dragging me away, "You've got to see this! Levi made the coolest robot that is an AI masterpiece! Kate did the design and it is perfect!" We walk into the foyer of the main building where this robot-human-thing is sitting in a chair and looks in the doorway, "Ah-Avery-and-Rain-C-Come-And-Join." Avery hurries me along and places me right in the face of the robot, "Rain-Why-Did-You-Not-C-Come-With-Thunder?" The crowd bursts into laughter as the robot continues to converse with the rest of the students. Suddenly, the robot shuts down and everyone freaks out. Seconds after staring a crash echoes throughout the corridor and all eyes are on Alex.

"Whoops, did I do that?" 

Kate rushes toward him and smacks him dead in the face, "Why the hell would you do that?"

"Watch it, Princess, don't get fiesty on me."

Kate prepares to pounce on Alex but Levi catches her in time before things get too brutal. Suddenly, a ton of words are exchanged and Alex and Levi are at it, throwing each other around the room and screaming. 

"Hey! What the hell is going on?!"

The crowd parts like the red sea where Kyle is now walking through the pathway and places himself in the middle and takes the collars of both guy's shirts and yanks up. "Y'all need to grow the fuck up, I swear. We're in high school now, act like it."

"There's a slight difference between acting like a highschooler and acting like a snobby Harvard student." 

Kyle glares at Alex, "At least I can afford to go to college. Harvard is a likely place for me to go, unlike Oxford which is way too out of your range."

The crowd breaks into a mix of "Damn," "Oh shit's," and "Oohs." Right then, Alex looks, at Kyle dead in the face and attempts to knee him in the mid-section. Kyle in a swift movement grabs his knee and kicks his knee, which is what he is balancing on, hard and Alex falls to the ground. 

Victoria weaves through the crowd, getting to Alex and looking up at him, "What did you do?" 

Andy pipes up, "He restrained himself from making Alex infertle, but it won't such an issue with not having kids because you're probably pregant anyways." 

Victoria gently lowers Alex's head down and decks Andy in the nose, another fight has emerged, including the fight between Levi and Alex resuming.

Kyle grabs my hand and walks away from the scene just as my aunt's heels click away closer to the scene. In the doorway I faintly hear, "Alexander Pope, Levi Spence, Andy Wells, Victoria Ross, come to my office now! And as for the rest of you, you are to go to your dorms and not come out until dinner!"