31 - unfinished business

Surprise, surprise. Enjoy! 🤭

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Chaeyoung's POV

It was in the middle of the afternoon when I received a package. Thinking that it was from Jungkook, since he had been surprising me with various gifts recently, I excitedly opened it. However, I was stricken to the core the moment I saw what was inside the box.

My hand trembled as I scattered everything on my table. They were all pictures of me, more than a dozen stolen pictures of me. What was more sickening was that the pictures were evidently taken recently based on what I was wearing then and my recent whereabouts. But the worst of all was the familiarity I gathered from these pictures.

No! This can't be happening.

I rushed outside the office, not clearly thinking what I was supposed to do but I knew I had to do something about this. But I was not able to run far when a hand pulled me from behind the door leading to the staircase. And there, I faced my greatest nightmare.

Caleb.

Caleb was the very first person I met during college back in Australia. He was already in his senior year then so I easily trusted him when we first bumped into each other and he offered to tour me around on my first day at the campus. We were in different departments since he was studying Architecture while I was continuing my degree in Communications. But that did not stop him from becoming my very first friend as well.

He always happened to be wherever I was, whether it was inside or outside the campus. But I did not suspect anything because his reasons all sounded logical. Especially for the times that I needed help, he was always there to lend me a hand. So I was only grateful to him until that day.

I was on my way to class when I happened to pass by Caleb who had his full attention to his locker. I greeted him in surprise by creeping up behind him. It was a total success when he spun around with his things scattered all over the floor beneath him. And it should have been fun if only I did not find a box filled with dozens of stolen pictures of me, all were taken inside and outside the campus.

I instantly ran away from him but he ran after me. He revealed his feelings for me as he tried to reason out that he was only looking after me. But I did not buy it even when he promised that he meant no harm. So from that day on, I avoided him at all cost.

Little did I know, his false acts around me had scarred me deeply. I tried to deny it for sometime but paranoia was right around the corner, becoming my constant companion without me realizing it. It was a good thing that my family was there for support. They supported me all throughout my therapy and helped me live normally again.

Now I was afraid that all my past efforts went to waste the moment I met Caleb eye to eye.

I yanked my arm from his hold and took a step back. "What are you doing here?"

He smirked in response, "Hmm. That's an odd way of saying you missed me, Roseanne."

"Because I don't." I hissed. "Now you better go because I'm calling security."

"Baby, you can't do that." He looked at me menacingly as he continued. "You wouldn't dare."

I was about to grab my phone and dial the security when he spoke.

"How's Jaehyun by the way? Did he, at least, crack his head from the impact?”

"Huh? You . . . you did that?" Nothing but fear fuelled me as I recalled how Jaehyun explained the car accident he got into this morning. "But he said that it was an accident. And the man, the man driving the truck that hit Jaehyun's car, was a family man who felt very sorry about what he did. So . . . how?"