21 - I like you

Author's POV

A blank expression was visible on Chaeyoung's face. Her uncertainty was undeniable at this point. She was unsure how to handle her current situation. Earlier, she and Jaehyun planned to have a celebratory dinner together. But she was totally surprised with Jungkook's sudden offer to eat dinner together. She tightly closed her eyes as she began to gather ideas at the back of her mind. Until, his voice interrupted her thinking.

"So, I . . . uh . . . I gotta go. Adios!" Jungkook said before leaving in a hurry.

Jungkook was conflicted. He did not want to leave Chaeyoung with Jaehyun and let the two of them spend time together. But he was also concerned at the confusion that was written all over Chaeyoung's face.

He wanted to confront her about a lot of things, especially about her relationship with Jaehyun. But Jungkook felt that she was not yet ready for it so he had to concede, for now . . . for her. And he left with a heavy heart.

Meanwhile, Jaehyun also felt conflicted but for different reasons. As he observed the way Chaeyoung frowned the moment Jungkook turned his back on them, Jaehyun felt defeated. Because of his feelings for Chaeyoung, he wanted to pursue her once more and take her back. All he wanted was to remind her of the times that he made her happy back in Australia. But he was afraid that someone else was already responsible for putting that smile on her face.

It was hurtful to think about until she turned to face him with that beautiful smile on her face. Jaehyun knew that her smile was not entirely sincere but it was enough for him to forget about his pain for now . . . for her. So he smiled back at her with a heavy heart.

... ... ... ... ...

Jaehyun and Chaeyoung ended up eating dinner at a fancy restaurant. Chaeyoung refused at first but Jaehyun kept on insisting.

For Chaeyoung, it was completely unnecessary because what they were celebrating was not that big of an achievement. Earning praises from a lot of people in the industry and some netizens for her first published article in EVE only meant that she did her job well. She was more than happy that she was able to show everyone her skills through that first article. But she agreed to celebrate with Jaehyun because he was truly supportive of her despite her sour treatment towards him.

On the other hand, Jaehyun wanted to take her to one of his favorite restaurants. Filling their stomachs with good food was one of the hobbies that he shared with Chaeyoung before and they always enjoyed doing it together. In fact, their great bondings almost always involved their current food cravings.

Initially, he wanted to make Chaeyoung remember about all those good times. But after what he witnessed earlier, he thought that there was no point doing it anymore. Yet he could not help himself from trying to make her smile.

"What?" Chaeyoung asked out of nowhere.

She noticed that Jaehyun was spacing out in front of her and stopped eating his food.

"What?" He asked in return with a clueless expression on his face.

She giggled as she answered, "What's getting you distracted?" Then she pouted when she continued. "Jay, we're eating right now. You shouldn't disrespect the food in front of us. So eat first and worry about whatever is on your mind later."

Jay. Yup, she just called me that. Now she's making this more difficult for me. If only she'd stop being so kind.

"Hey!" She called and reached out across from Jaehyun to touch his arm. "What is it? Are you okay?"