23 - Hey Stupid, I Love You

Jungkook’s POV

“Jeon.” Chaeyoung called.

I only managed to hum in response.

There stood Chaeyoung in front of me, looking upset with her hand tightening into a fist. This sight of her took all my strength just so I would not topple Chaeyoung with my warmest hug. She did not look like she was ready for that. Instead, I quickly intertwined our hands again.

I was glad when my action was instantly rewarded with the faint blush on Chaeyoung's chubby cheeks and the adorable look of surprise on her face while looking at our clasped hands. Then my heart fluttered when her shy little smile appeared for a split second before trying her best to look uncomfortable that we were holding each other's hand again.

Oh, Chaeyoung! Tell me, what's stopping you from being honest with me?

Saying I hated Chaeyoung's push and pull in whatever this kind of relationship we have would be a total lie. Well, I'm not the slightest happy about it but I could not hate it when it's one of the reasons why I'm still hung up on her after all these years.

Yes, I'm still uncertain about her feelings for me. But the few clues she had shown like her nervousness when we're together, every charming smile she threw my way, her jealousy with other girls around me and even the way she was particularly sensitive when anything related to Jaehyun was brought up. I hoped that these things all indicated that Chaeyoung somehow had even a bit of feelings for me.

I only hoped that I was right as I held her hand tighter. Not that I want her to. But all Chaeyoung needed to do was push me away and I would let her go, even unwillingly. So when I felt her fingers curled over the back of my hand, my smile grew brighter.

It's a start, Park. We'll get there eventually, I promise.

... ... ... ... ...

As promised, I urged myself not to be a coward anymore. So the very next day, I marched towards Chaeyoung's apartment early in the morning. I nervously rang her doorbell with my trembling hand and big beads of sweat rushing down the sides of my face.

I took in a deep breath as I mentally rehearsed the speech I prepared earlier.

But my mind went haywire the moment my eyes landed on Chaeyoung. Her long blonde locks looked like a bird's nest over her head. Her plump lips that were naturally pink complemented her rosy cheeks.

It was not the first time I've seen her in this state so I did not think I'd still be this mesmerized by her natural beauty.

Oh well, Park Chaeyoung defined beauty.

"Op-pa?"

That instantly brought me back to reality.

Oppa?

Chaeyoung's eyes were half-closed as she continued, ”What are you doing here this early? We're having a lunch date, aren't we?"

She's going on a . . . DATE?! Argh!

"Oppa!" She mumbled as she leaned forward and gave me a loose hug. "Let me sleep in for at least two hours, please?”

I was trying to calm myself while taking in deep breaths when Chaeyoung slowly lifted her head. Her chin was pressed against my chest as she took a peek of my appearance with only one eye fully opened.

If I was not bothered with whoever she was planning to go on a date with, I would be completely delighted at how she was looking so cute right now. But that seemed impossible as my anger remained on the surface.