12 - complication

Jungkook’s POV

If I say I’d take you up on your offer and be selfish with you, do you really not mind?

I blankly looked at Chaeyoung. She was looking straight into my eyes, staring right through me.

How was I supposed to answer her?

There was no doubt that I’d answer her affirmatively. But the question suddenly sounded vague. I wanted to know what the underlying conditions were if we both agreed on this, if there were any. I was also concerned of her reason for doing this.

“On second thought . . .”

“I don’t mind at all.”

We both said at the same time.

I smirked in response to the look of surprise on her face.

When will she stop doubting me?

If it was any other day than today, I’d press her to talk about that matter. I could not let her think that I’m not being sincere with my actions toward her. However, I thought otherwise when I realized her current mood. From the way she was acting right now, I could tell that something was bothering her.

Hence, it was probably why she called. I’m guessing that she wanted to invite me to drink with her. But after she heard my inconvenient lie about why I rudely answered her call earlier, she immediately backed out and changed plans. So I kind of deserved it when she tried to push me out of her apartment not too long ago.

“Good.” She mindlessly answered before taking the can from my hand and took a few sips of beer.

Then she wearily leaned back on the backrest of the couch and closed her eyes.

“Jeon, I had a long day. I’m guessing you had one too. So if we can both just sit quietly for a little while, I’d truly appreciate it.”

I nodded my head in response, belatedly realizing that she couldn’t see me because she still had her eyes closed. I wanted to voice out my response but I thought that staying quiet as per her request was already the perfect answer.

I continued drinking the beer in my hand while she stayed still beside me with her chest rising up and down along with her breathing. I stared at her face, longer than I intended to. I wanted to fix the slight frown on her lips and iron out the way her brows were meeting in the middle of her forehead.  I wanted to ask her what her problem was but I hoped it was enough that I was with her, that she needed me, at this particular moment.

Her right hand that was lying on top of her thigh slowly slid down to the couch. I looked down to my left hand that was only a few inches away from her hand. I was in the middle of debating with myself whether I should hold her hand or what when she beat me to it. She swiftly took my hand and interlaced our fingers.

“This is part of me being selfish with you. So if you changed your mind, feel free to tell me.” She said while looking at me from the corner of her eyes.

I smiled at her and gave her hand a soft squeeze. She looked dumbfounded as she met my gaze. I could see uncertainty clouding her eyes. But even though I wanted to hear answers from her, I supported her need for silence. We remained staring back at each other with nothing but silence as our accompaniment.

I was getting lost in her eyes until she broke the eye contact after smiling sweetly at me.

Breathe, Jungkook. Breathe.

Park Chaeyoung was going to be the death of me yet I wouldn’t mind, at all.

… … … … …