1 - Coming Home

Chaeyoung’s POV

“Finally! I’m done.” I cheered after keeping all the empty boxes in the storage. I just finished unpacking all my stuffs.

Now I can finally take a stroll outside. Yay!

Since I landed back in Korea this morning, I’ve been itching to wander around. But I was too jet lagged to go anywhere. So I spent the rest of the morning dozing off on my comfortable bed. Then I used up all my time in the afternoon to unpack my things.

There’s not much to unpack since my apartment was fully furnished. And when I flew here a month ago to look for an apartment in advance, I made sure that everything was left in proper order. But the perfectionist in me won’t allow things to be half-done. So I consumed my time doing menial yet comforting tasks, at least for me.

I walked around my neighborhood, trying to familiarize myself with the nearby establishments. It’s a different area from where I used to live before my family migrated to Australia. But I’m pretty sure that many things must have changed in this place within the seven years that I’ve been out of the country. So I wanted to know what were in my surroundings, especially the restaurants.

Voila! It’s a diner. And I bet they’re selling good food. Its striking exterior better not be deceptive.

I happily went inside the diner. I was greeted with the appealing aroma spread throughout the place. Then I walked to an empty table. It was near the door leading to the kitchen. I was given a menu by the waiter right after I sat down. Everything looked delicious that I was starting to feel myself drooling in anticipation. I ordered a clubhouse sandwich with fries and pink lemonade.

I was not disappointed at all when my food arrived. It already looked appetizing in first glance so my expectation heightened as I was taking a bite of my sandwich. I couldn’t deny the satisfaction I was feeling with my dinner. I could even already see myself frequenting this place in the near future.

And I was enjoying my dinner, way too much, that I belatedly noticed a man in a chef’s uniform looking at me. He was standing by the kitchen door with one hand resting over his mouth, looking surprised. His other hand was holding his phone directed at me.

Is he taking a video of me? Or . .  . paranoid much? Why would he do that? I don’t even know the guy.

So I continued finishing my food. But I couldn’t help turning my back to the man.

When I noticed him going back to the kitchen from the corner of my eye, I sat more comfortably and went on eating my food, shutting out any more distraction.

Then I hurried outside after paying for my food. It was already getting dark and I wished I told the girls that I was back in Korea. But the thought of surprising them was more exciting. I told them I’d be back two days later than my actual arrival. And I was planning to surprise them tomorrow during lunch. They were all working in one company, the same company that I would start working for in the next few days.

The company was a women’s magazine called EVE. Jisoo, the one who recruited me, was the Editor-in-chief. Jennie was a fashion editor and Lisa was a professional photographer. And I would be a writer for a column called, Love like Ours. It would feature stories about different kind of relationships.

Back when we were in high school, the four of us dreamed of creating our own company. But we promised that if we fell short of that dream, we should all be working in the same company at the very least. And the three of them had been bugging me for years after they all managed to work in EVE about three or four years ago.

Oh! Is that . . .

I ran to a stall selling all kinds of newspapers and magazines. I picked the current issue of EVE and looked at the cover admiringly. I smiled knowing that my friends were a few of the people responsible for its gorgeous cover. When I put the magazine back in the rack, something caught my eye.