20 - tough choice

Chaeyoung’s POV

I remained staring blankly at my phone the moment Jungkook ended the call. I had no idea what he had in mind when he suddenly told me he was coming here to see me. I was confused because I couldn’t remember us planning to meet after work. Yet deep inside, I knew I was excited to see him again despite seeing him only this morning.

This week Jungkook had been adamant in sending me to work almost every morning. He insisted to do so and never once listened to my protests.

When does he ever?

My schedule for the past three days was hectic.

My parents were celebrating their silver wedding anniversary so I flew back to Australia on Thursday evening and landed on Friday morning. Then I slept for the rest of the morning on Friday to recover from my jet lag. In the afternoon, I was occupied in preparing for the mini party that we held in the evening at the backyard of our home. We had a few guests, some relatives and close friends.

On Saturday, I spent almost the entire day meeting my friends, classmates in college and former colleagues from my previous work. It was physically draining because I had no time to rest but I relented because I did not go there to rest anyway. I came back to Australia to spend time with the people that I missed after being gone for almost a month.

Then Sunday was family day. We spent the day like we used to before. We went to church in the morning, ate lunch at our favorite restaurant and went to buy grocery together. Alice and I were trailing behind mom with various snacks in our hands, just like how we always did when we were kids.

Afterwards, we ate dinner at home with the four of us helping each other in preparing our dinner. I was flying back to Korea that evening so we decided to have our dinner at an earlier time, then I would have enough time to prepare for my flight.

It was a little past lunchtime when I got back to Seoul. The overnight bag in my hand felt three times heavier and my legs felt like jelly. I did not think I could walk on my own from exhaustion. During the entire flight, I was either eating or asleep. We even had more than two hours of stopover yet I still felt like I was drained of energy.

When I got to my apartment, I was completely knocked out the moment my back landed on the bed. A couple of hours later, I woke up a few minutes past ten o’clock with a grumbling stomach. At first, I tried to ignore my hunger and get back to sleep. But like ever, I could not neglect my stomach’s complaints. I frowned as I got up from the bed, a part of me wanted to get back to sleep but it was easily defeated with the other part of me that was already starting to imagine all kinds of food that I was craving.

I walked to the kitchen and turned on every light switch that I passed by on the way. I was already used to my own apartment and confident enough to claim that I wouldn’t have a hard time finding my way even if I was blindfolded.

Across my bedroom was the guest room and a common bathroom was in the middle of the two rooms.  I was so happy about my apartment’s layout because I got to have a balcony outside my bedroom. Then next to the guest room was the entire living room. And on the other side of the living room was the kitchen with a dining space and the wash area on the corner.

And as I mentioned, I might survive finding my way around my apartment blindfolded but that didn’t mean that I could do it without any scratch or bruise. I even hit my toes on the edge of cabinet, broke a flower vase sitting on my bedside table and bumped my head on the cabinet hanging over the kitchen sink when I was fully awake and all the lights were shining so bright. So I made sure to turn on every light because my clumsiness almost always got on the way.