Chapter 18: Knock Knock

(song - Assailing Ones, Highschool of the Dead soundtrack)

Chapter 18 - Knock Knock

Lilia

We followed behind the two Romanians as they strolled up to the double doors where two guards were standing on either side. At the same time, they grabbed the men's necks and jerked the heads, breaking the spine. They hit the ground simultaneously.

"They were Alps." Charlotte pointed out. When the brothers continued to walk right into the parlor, she spoke again. "Breaking their necks won't kill them." she added, sounding a bit frustrated with their behavoir.

"We know, however, it will keep them occupied for a few hours." Stefan replied for Vladmir who was solely focused on the mission.

We entered into an extravegant entryway, with marble flooring and black tapestries drapping over the walls. Pillars lined the sides of the room and could be seen running all the way up to the third floor cieling. The forey let us see each individual floors, each with railings to keep persons from falling over the edge and hallway running around the circumfrance of the room.

"This way, children." Vladmir commanded as he strided straight for the stairs on the other end of the hall. 

Stefan was at his side imediately, staying step for step with the blonde. The rest of us trudged behind wondering how he knew where to find Severn in this gigantic mansion. Our leader abruptly turned right before he got to the stairs, instead heading towards a set of double doors hidden behind the rows of pillars. They looked unguarded on the outside, but when the brothers opened the doors two more Alps were waiting for them. Stefan and Vladmir only repeated the process, grabbing them and snapping their necks off to the sides. The fell to the ground uselessly.

"Good evening, Vladmir, Stefan," a man greeted them from the other side of the dinning room. He was sitting in the chair at the end, looking like he was just about to eat the feast set before him. He put the golden silverware in his hands down on the table and picked up the handkerchief, whipping off his mouth. It was laid down on the table gently before he turned his attention back to us. "How nice to see my creations again."

"I'd like to say the same thing," Vladmir countered. " but then I'd be lying."

"Ever the gentlemen, aren't you?" Severn mused. "Of course, I raised you and your brother that way, didn't I?" he hummed and then looked directly at me. "Lilia." he spoke the word like poison. "I've been wondering when I'd see you face to face. Your mother had enough common sense to store you away in the new world right before I killed her---you know I saved her for last. Went straight through the family line, starting with your father, your older brother, and finishing up with the rest of the corrupted lot."

Mother? What was he talking about? She was safe and sound back in New York along with my father. And I didn't have an older brother......but that was my human family. I hadn't even considered I'd gotten my condition because they weren't my real parents. Come to think of it, that explained a lot of things about me.

Severn grinned when he saw my confusion. "But you never got to meet them, did you? She sent you away to live with those humans without any clue to your true nature." he shrugged. "That's just as good. It makes it easier for me to kill you." he sneered.