Chapter 3: Meet the Blacks

(song - Phascination Phase, Twilight soundtrack)

Chapter 3 - Meet the Blacks

Sunday started out as boring as yesterday's had. Tom didn't have any work today, so I couldn't sneak out again to take more pictures. Phelicia was also home because the antique shop was closed on Sundays. It seemed as if the whole town shut down because I didn't see a single car go by our house at all.

I lazed around the house most of the day, reading more of my books or napping. This was the life all right, I thought to myself. I almost wanted to call up my parents and yell at them for sending me here. I was spending the last moments of my life in boredom when I wanted to go out and do stuff before it was too late. Later in the afternoon, my aunt called me down for some odd reason. I obeyed her, not wanting to see what she looked like when she was angry.

"Billy, Tom's friend, has invited us over for dinner. Would you like to come?" My aunt asked me.

I wasn't going to pass up getting out of the house.

"Sure, I'll be ready in a couple minutes." I said and ran back up the stairs.

I settled for a nice longsleeve top that was striped with purple, blue, black, and white at different widths. I pulled on a pair of dark blue skinny jeans and some black boots and was ready to go out as soon as I finished combing through my hair once. My white hair was very long. It went down to my waist. I hadn't wanted to cut it when I was young, because I treasured my hair. It was different than everybody else's and I wasn't afraid to show it off.

I ran back down the stairs and joined my aunt and uncle on their way out the door. We all climbed in the car, with Tom driving of coarse, and drove away.

I wondered what Tom's friend Billy Black was like. The first thing that came to my mind, was that his hair would be black just like his last name. I asked Phelicia if he was married, and she said yes, but long ago. His wife had passed away and left him with his son and two daughters. I asked for their names and she told me the son's name was Jacob and the two daughter's names were Rachel and Rebecca.

Billy got lonely with both of his daughters moved out of his house and his son roaming around the town, so he often invited his friends over to his place. It was on an Indian reservation. Most of the houses there were log cabins that we passed as we entered. When we arrived at his house, a man in a wheelchair came out onto the porch.

This was Billy Black, a man with russet skin and dark black hair and eyes. The skin around his face was wrinkled from old age and he was heavy set. He waited for us as Tom, Phelicia, and I got out of the car and walked over to his cabin.

He shook my uncle's hand when they got close enough together and Tom even cracked a smile for once. I figured he must be a pretty old and pretty good friend for him to get him to reply with facial expressions. Even the one time I got my uncle to talk, when he asked me to pass the salt, his face had been completely deadpan. Billy welcomed in my aunt and was surprised to see me with them.

Phelicia had to explain to him that I was their niece and I was visiting from New York for a while. They didn't tell him that I was going to die soon or that I wasn't visiting, so that we could keep the happy feeling in the air going. I entered and Billy followed me in behind, closing the door as he did so.

My aunt went straight for the kitchen, fixing dinner for everyone in the household. Tom went and sat down on the couch and Billy rolled over to the other side and faced him so they could remember the good old days. With nothing to do, I went into the kitchen to see what help I could provide to my aunt.