Chapter 6: The Cold Ones

(song - The Skin of a Killer, Twilight soundtrack)

Chapter 6 - The Cold Ones

"Alright then, listen up because I'm only going to tell this once." the first guy said with a grin and locked gazes with some of his compainions, grinning even more devilishly at them.

"Long ago," He started, unable to wipe the grin off his face."During the early days of the world, our tribe lived off the land we stand on now. Accoring to legend, the ancestors of our tribe, the Quileutes, were descended from wolves. The men of the clan could transform themselves into giants wolves to protect the clan. They did this for many centuries, thinking that they were the only creatures out there." he scoffed.

Then his face and voice suddenly turned serious."They were wrong."

It was eerily silent for a short moment. I was on nerve the way he said the word creatures and wrong, but that wasn't what my thoughts were really focused on. The word wolves had instantly spiked my intrest in the story, when otherwise I would have ignored it because I didn't like scary stories.

"The English came to the New World and brought them with them. Our tribe leaders named them The Cold Ones because of how cold and pale their skin was." He paused.

There was no humor in his face at all and I was completely focused on every word he said.

"The Cold Ones are the natural born enemy to the Quileutes---the men who could transform into wolves. Or as you," He said with an grin."would call us, werewolves."

I wanted to ask him what did we call The Cold Ones, but he answered it for all.

"Your people named them vampires. There was always a chance that they could expose themselves to the humans, but they always kept a careful guard up." He said softly, so that everyone had to be silent to hear."One day a clan of The Cold Ones came to our lands and claimed that they were civilized."

The way he had said the last word sounded as if he was disgusted with the story tale beings....if they were just that.

"They said that they didn't harm humans and only preyed on animals. Our cheif decided to make a pact with them. As long as they stayed off the Quileute lands and didn't harm the humans, they would not expose their secret." he paused for effect."Even today, the treaty still stands."

"What's that suppose to mean?" a young guy that wasn't a Quileute asked.

"That's for you to decide." The story teller chuckled.

Soon after the story was finished, everyone got up from their seats and laughed nervously with each other, trying to calm their nerves. As far as the part with the vampires, I didn't care. What my mind was buzzing about was the Quileutes supposive ancestory of turning into giant wolves and the conversation that Jacob and Billy Black had.

I remembered the words that I picked out from the rain and the wood. Arguing. Wolves. Fighting. Break up. And something about someone storming off.

It sounded as if a bunch of Quileute boys had gotten into an arguement, turned into giant wolves, fought, someone broke them off, and the loser stormed off. I laughed at my own little joke inside my head when I realized I could be spot on. I didn't know what I could believe anymore around here.

"Hey Lilia, you okay?" A voice asked me, catching me temporarily off guard.

It was the voice of a concerned Seth Clearwater.