Chapter 16: Part A End, Part B Start

(song - Muddy Water, Shiki Tv Rouge sountrack)

Chapter 16 - Part A End, Part B Start

One week later.

My eyes suddenly fluttered open and met darkness. Where was I? I moved my hands and felt the sides of the thing that imprisioned me. I ran them up the sides and across the top of the thing that had me locked up. When I hit the roof, I started patting my hands to the surface, then found the walls again and put my hands back down to my sides.

I didn't know where I was. The last thing I remembered was going into a deep sleep. Now I felt like I'd just woken up from resting for a long time, completely rejuvinated and ready to go. The problem was I was stuck in this pitch black box. My eyes searched for light, but found none. I started to move my legs, hitting the far wall that signified that the box ended there. I tried to bend my legs up, but my knees met the surface of the box.

Turning my head from side to side, I tried to determine where exactly I was. I froze when the answer came to me. I was in a coffin. But why? I hadn't died? Had they mistaken me falling asleep for dying like the one time with Seth? Surely Dr.Cullen couldn't have messed up his analysis and pronounced me dead. That was when I remembered my conversation with him.

As fast as I could get my hands up, I twisted them up so that I could feel my neck. My fingers searched the edges of my neck, but didn't find any bite marks. If he hadn't changed me, then why was I sitting here six feet under? Okay, laying. Whatever I was doing right now. I started getting slightly fustrated by the small space I'd been shoved into.

And what had they put me in? The fabric that I wore felt cool and silky up against my skin, but I had instantly recognized it as a dress. How could my aunt and uncle just comply to that when they knew I hated dresses? Maybe I hadn't made it too clear to them. I groaned. I just wanted out of this box!

It just came to my attention then, that I had a limited supply of air. That wouldn't have been a problem if Dr.Cullen had changed me, but in my current state I was breathing naturally like any human. I remembered what he had told me about their kind. Being converted into a vampire meant that you had to survive three days of burning agony, twisting and turning in your sleep. I hadn't felt any pain, and I was sure that my aunt and uncle would have rushed up to my room if they heard me screaming or flailing around.

Whatever had happened to me wasn't a vampire situation.

Then what was it? It felt like only yesterday I'd been pain like no other and now I was perfectly healthy, able to move my arms and legs at will again. I huffed. I thought of the werewolves next. I was pretty sure that you had to be either bitten or born one to become one. At least, that was how it was done in the movies. A lot of what Dr.Cullen had said about vampires had surprised me when he had explained it to me. If Seth had bitten me and turned me into a werewolf, I was going to kick his butt once I got out of here.

Which begged the question, how was I going to get out of here? I pressed my hands on the soft velvet above me and heaved. This was the best time as any to see if I was a vampire after all. Dr.Cullen had told me that they had inhuman strength that no mammal in the animal kingdoms could compare to. The wood creaked when I pushed, but didn't give. Was there too much dirt on top of me to force it open?

That made me realize that I'd have to dig through six feet of dirt to get myself out of this hole. Perfect. Unable to take it any longer, I began banging my firsts on the roof of the coffin, yelling and screaming my head off.

"Help me! Someone, Help!" I yelled over and over again, hitting the wood as hard as I could.

I didn't care that six feet under that no human would hear me. I was more like hoping a local vampire was in the area or a werewolf would come by and dig me up. At least they'd get me out in a couple of seconds if one did hear me. I kept screaming, kicking, and punching the wood until I tried to suck in more breath to yell and nothing happened.