Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Ally’s POV

After Y/N and I eat dinner, I ask her to put the dishes away while I get ready to go to my parent’s house. I hadn’t told her the whole truth earlier; I knew exactly why they wanted to talk to me. I’m just scared about what they’ll say. I don’t want her to worry, too.

I put on shoes and a jacket in my room and head back down the hall. Y/N is lounging on the couch, having have finished the dishes. I walk over to her.

“I’ll be back in a couple of hours”, I promise her before kissing her head. “Bye.”

“Bye”, she repeats softly.

I walk to the door, lock it, step outside, and close it. My hands almost shake with nerves over having to talk to my parents.

They want to talk about Y/N.

***

I pull my car up to my parent’s driveway, the ride doing nothing to calm my nerves. I have a pretty solid theory that whatever they have to say will not be good. My mom may have forgiven my father for what he did, but she sure didn’t forget.

I take several deep breaths before finally getting out of the car and going up to the door. I don’t bother knocking. I have a standing invitation to come here whenever I want, so I just go inside. Fortunately, they’re already waiting for me.

“Guess who’s home!”, I call out cheerfully.  

“Is it my wonderful daughter?”, Mom guesses.

“It is!”

“Come here, baby!” My mom gets up and wraps me in a hug. After reciprocating the hug and letting go, I turn to Jerry, my stepdad, and hug him tightly. I know he’s not my biological father, but he’s my dad, he always has been, and he always will be.

“Hi, Dad”, I say.

“Hey, glad you could come by.” He gestures for me to sit down, so I do. I settle on the couch in the family room while they take the chairs in front of me. We make small talk for about twenty minutes, then their expressions, once elated, are now stern and serious. I guess we’re getting right into things, then.

“So, how are the girls?”, Mom asks casually.

“They’re doing good’, I answer.

“And Lauren? I know she’s going through a hard time right now.”

“Yeah, she’s with her family for the weekend. But she’ll be okay. She’s a fighter.”

“I’ll keep her family in our prayers.”

“She’ll appreciate that”, I smile.

We keep silent for few seconds. Then Mom speaks up again.

“Why didn’t you tell us that you wanted to get back in contact with that man?

That man. Ever since she got married, he was never dad or even your father. Just that man.

“I didn’t really plan on trying to find him”, I shrug. “It was kind of a spontaneous decision.”

“Why didn’t you talk to us about it first?”, she asks.  

“I didn’t think I needed to”, I reply, beginning to feel irritated. “I’m an adult, after all.”

“Did it even cross your mind that maybe it was a bad idea? That maybe so much time had passed that nothing could be fixed? That-”