Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Your POV

When we get home after spending some time in traffic, the house smells like someone's been baking. I'm not sure how that's possible, considering that everyone had classes today, but it is, apparently.

"Who made what and can I have some?", I ask/shout upon arrival.

"It's all for me, so it doesn't matter", I hear Lauren say as she appears into the kitchen.

"It does matter, and it's not all for you", I retort. I walk further into the kitchen and see a pan of brownies on the counter.

"And who says it's not all for me?", Lauren smirks.

"I do."

"You want one?"

"Yes."

"Give me a kiss first."

I roll my eyes, but my false annoyance doesn't stop me from stepping closer to her and giving her a brief kiss.

"C'mon, give me a real one", she whines.

I kiss her again, this time for longer.

"Alright, you can have one", she playfully grumbles.

I give her my best smirk and pull open the silverware drawer to grab a knife.

"So, who made them?", I ask again.

"I did", she answers.

I freeze.

"Lauren, are these special brownies?", I question.

"I am offended!", she fake gasps. "How could you say such a thing?"

"Tell me I'm wrong", I challenge.

"You're wrong", she responds. "These are not pot brownies."

"Who said anything about pot? I asked if they were special. That could mean anything."

I can practically see her internally face-palming herself.

"I hate you."

"No, you don't."

"You're right." She squeezes me into a hug. "I don't." As she releases me, she asks, "What do you know about pot, anyway?"

I freeze again, knife in hand, suspended above the pan.

"Y/N Y/M/L Y/L/N, have you ever done any drugs?" She's half joking. Only half.

"No."

"Good." She kisses my cheek, and I finally get a damn brownie.

* * *

A Few Days Later

It's Friday now, and my last class of the day is just getting out. I don't make eye contact with anyone as I jam my stuff into my backpack and speed walk out of the room. Nothing bad happened, but I did see something that brought back a very upsetting memory.

I don't know how long I've been zoning out for by the time someone calls my name.

"Y/N? Y/N?" Dinah snaps her fingers in my face. "You alright?"

"Yeah, fine."

She doesn't believe me, that much is evident. But she shrugs it off anyway.

I don't say anything the whole ride back, and neither does anyone else, instead killing the silence with music. When Camila pulls the car into the driveway, I have to force myself out of the backseat. Then I walk sluggishly up the driveway and into the house. When I finally cross the threshold, I don't bother looking anyone in the eye. I don't even bother saying anything. I just head straight to my room.

The door to my room is open, just like I left it this morning. As soon as I enter, I shut it. Then I pull East of Eden out of my backpack before tossing it on the ground and flopping on the bed. I don't have to read over the weekend, but I want to look over what I have read again because I was bullshitting a little during class discussions.

I read a long chapter (they're all long chapters), and then I hear a knock on the door.

"Can I come in?" It's Lauren.

"Sure", I respond.

Lauren opens the door slowly, cautiously, like she's afraid of something. I look at her confusedly.

I'm not a piece of glass, Lauren. I'm not gonna break anytime soon.

"What's up?", I ask.

"Is something wrong?"

"No." Yes.

"Don't bullshit me, Y/N. I know you by now."

I exhale deeply, knowing she's right and it's useless hiding things from her now.

"I really don't wanna talk about it."

Lauren crosses the floor, sitting on the bed as she reaches it. I know this not because I see it, but because I feel her weight dip down on the bed.

"It might help if you did", she reasons.

I sigh deeply again.

"Will it really?"

"You did the same for me, remember?"

Oh, yeah.

"Alright", I relent.

I toss the book on the bed and scoot over to make room for Lauren. She moves next to me, wraps her arm around my waist and pulls me close.

"So what's bothering you?"