Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Your POV

Ally looks around at all of us. The tension is high. I'm starting to get scared.

Breathe, I remind myself. Relax.

Oh, hell, I can't relax. My anxiety is getting too damn bad.

She looks at Normani first. Then she speaks.

"Do you remember when you found that huge dent on your car that you said you weren't responsible for but got in trouble for anyway?"

"Yeah", Mani nods her head.

"I put it there", Ally states matter-of-factly.

"You what?", Normani screams incredulously. "That cost so much to fix! My parents were so pissed at me! I was grounded for a month! How could you let all that happen? You could've at least paid for it!"

"But I didn't. Just like you didn't tell me about what was happening under this roof. Oh, well."

Ally looks at Camila next.

"I dropped Sofi once when she was a baby."

Camila's eyes widen. "What the hell? You were supposed to be careful with her!"

"And you're supposed to not keep big secrets from me. That one sure went to shit."

Next, she turns to Dinah.

"Oh, God", she groans. "What did you do to me?"

"Oh, nothing", Ally smirks. "Just the grease fire in your kitchen last year that you got blamed for."

"And people think you're the good one", Dinah growls through gritted teeth.

"Just like I thought you'd tell me if you liked someone."

Last of all, she turns to Lauren.

"I was the one who told your parents about your secret relationship last year."

Lauren's eyes go wide.

"You told them? After I made it clear that they weren't supposed to know? After I trusted you not to tell them?"

She's angry now, and I've never seen her angry, either.

Ally just shrugs. "They were going to find out eventually. And it had to be someone. Besides, he was no good for you, and you knew it."

"And that's supposed to make it right? I trusted you!", Lauren roars. "I trusted you and you broke that!"

She takes a step forward, and that's when I know it's time to intervene.

"Don't", I warn. "If you take another step, you might end up doing something you'll regret."

"Are you defending her?", Lauren asks incredulously.

"No, I'm protecting you", I retort.

"Well, you shouldn't", she spits out. "And you wouldn't if you knew everything."

"And what is that supposed to mean, exactly?" I narrow my eyes at her.

Lauren gives me an amused expression.

"What does it mean?", she chuckles. "What does it mean? I'll tell you what it means!"

"Lauren, no", Camila warns. "This has gone far enough."

"Oh, no it hasn't", Lauren retorts.

"Yes it has", I maintain. "And I don't wanna know whatever it is you're about to say."

But she doesn't listen to me.

"Really?", she inquires. "You don't wanna know the real story?"

Real story? What real story?

"You don't wanna know about how Ally's been lying to you for months? About how she knew you when you were born? About how the last time she saw you before coming here, you were three years old? About how she knew who you were the whole damn time?"

Boom.

And just like that, everything changes.

No one says anything at first. No one reacts at all. The other girls have unreadable expressions, but Ally's expression is a mix of horror and realization.

And then I speak.

"Is this true?", I ask. My voice shakes with anger I'm trying to hold in.

Ally gives no immediate response. She first looks at the floor, then at Lauren, then her eyes roam around the room, then finally rest on me as she takes a deep breath.

"Yes", she says. "It's true."

Well, fuck.

I just shake my head.

"I guess it was all your fault after all."

I turn on my heels and walk away. No one tries to stop me.

* * *

I close the door to my room carefully. Then I grab something off my dresser and throw it against the wall.

So she knew. She knew all along! That fucking asshole! She knew I existed and made no attempt to help me! She's the reason I ended up in fucking foster care! I suffered because of her! Was she lying about knowing when my parents died, too? Did she know I was in foster care while I was in foster care?

I can't stay here. But where can I go? I'm obviously not calling my social worker. I have no desire to return to the system. And I don't know many people in this neighborhood.

So that leaves the Mission District. Yes, that's where I'll go. I can stay at Raul's. I always have a standing invitation to stay there anyway. His parents have always treated me like a second daughter. And they don't know Ally, so there's no way they'll rat me out.

Quickly and without a second thought, I grab my black backpack and unzip it. I empty everything out, then I shove in some clothes and my wallet, and the rest of the few possessions I owned when I came here, including my old prepaid cell phone. I text Raul that I'm coming over, and he replies that it's alright to come.

I slip the phone in my pocket, sling the backpack over my shoulder, turn off the light, and open the window. I swing one foot over, then the other, and slide out of the room, landing feet first onto the concrete, and walk away to the Bart station.

Author's Note: Again, sorry this took so long and sorry it's so short, but I really do have trouble writing detail. Ally's secrets took an especially long time to think up. (I saw that some of you theorized that she was either dating Normani or Miss Lawrence. That would've been way too obvious, and the odds that everyone living in the same house are all coincidentally gay are slim to none, unless that's done on purpose)

On another note, this story reached 3k votes! Thank you to everyone who's voted on this and read it and told me it was great! It all means a lot.

Hope you're all having a good summer! See ya next time!