Chapter 24

Chapter 24

 Lauren's POV

 I'm really nervous about having to talk to Y/N today. I shouldn't be, but I am. I know it needs to happen, but that doesn't make it any easier. What'll she say? Will she want to tell people about us? Will I want to tell people about us?

 Will there even be an us by the end of this discussion?

 I shake the thought out of my head and go to our backyard. It's late in the morning, and it's slightly chilly out, but the cold seems to calm me. I walk out to the patio and settle into a chair. I close my eyes, just to rest them, but soon I can feel myself starting to fall back asleep.

 Pretty soon afterwards, I feel something flicking against my forehead.

 "Stop flicking me", I mumble.

 "But we need to talk", a voice whines.I open my eyes quickly. Y/N stands above me, looking amused. Her hair's a little wet and her blue t-shirt is slightly sticking to her torso. She must have just gotten out of the shower.

 "Eh, quit starin', would ya?", she sasses in a goofy accent, making me laugh.

 "Alright, sit down, kid", I say.

 "Kid?", she exclaims in mock outrage. "I'm not a kid!"

 "You're under eighteen. That makes you a kid."

 "Does not." 

  "Does too."

 "Does not."

 "Does too."

 "Does not. That's final."

 "If it helps you sleep at night", I shrug.

 "You do realize that if I'm a kid, then you can't date me, right?"

 Fuck.

 "I didn't think about that."

 "Right. Can we talk about that now?"

 "I guess", I sigh.

 Y/N sits in the chair next to me. We just sit there for a moment, neither of us knowing how to start this conversation.

 "I never noticed", she finally begins.

 "Noticed what?", I ask in a bewildered tone.

 "That you liked me. If you do, that is."

 "I do, of course I do." I wouldn't have kissed her if I didn't.

 "Great to know", she chuckles lightly. "But yeah, I never noticed."

 "That was kind of my fault. I tried really hard not to make it obvious."

 "You did a good job of that, aside from the really subtle signs." I think about the hand holding, the kisses on her cheek, the constant reassuring.

 "And what about you?", I ask, because I really have to.

 "What about me?", she responds.

 "What do you feel for me?"

 I think she wasn't expecting that, because she instantly freezes.

 "Ah, well..." she trails off. For a moment, I'm scared.

 "It's something", she finishes. "I haven't had much time to figure things out yet, but I definitely feel something." 

 "Something good, right?", I ask hopefully.

 "Damn right it's good."

 I burst into laughter. That was more than I could've hoped for.

 "That's good to know."We fall into silence for a little bit. Y/N is looking straight at the ground and playing with her fingers. I take the time to get up from my seat and slide right into hers, sitting so close that our hips are directly touching each other. I put my arm around her waist and pull her a little closer. Y/N rests her head on my shoulder, surprising me. She's not usually one for physical contact.

 "Who are you and what happened to Y/N?", I ask.

 "Pretty sure she's still here. Why?", she responds.

 "You never do this."

 "Untrue. I just don't usually do this. There's a difference", she points out.

 "Whatever, get off. You're hair's wet."

 "But I just dried it."

 "Not completely. It's still a little wet."

 "It shouldn't be wet enough to cause a problem."

 In response, I shove her head off of me. She just rests her head back down, and I shove it off again. And we go back and forth like that a couple more times.

 "Okay, stop", she says eventually. "This hurts my neck."

 "Want me to kiss it better?", I ask, half kidding, half serious.

 "If you want", she shrugs. It wasn't a question I expected to be answered, but I'm glad it was.

 So I lean in a little closer. I brush some of her hair out of the way and use my fingertips to lightly skim her neck. She nods microscopically, urging me to go on. Then I kiss her neck lightly, and I swear I can hear her breath hitch. I add a little more pressure, then move my lips to a different section of her neck. I continue to move my lips around her neck, pressing soft kisses against her smooth skin and occasionally poking her with the tip of my tongue. Finally, I press one more kiss on the side of her head.

 "Better now?", I whisper.

 "Much", she answers.

 "Good." I kiss her head again. "That was what I wanted."

 Y/N doesn't respond to this one. Instead, she keeps silent and runs a hand through her thick hair. She seems a little nervous. She's back not not looking at me and tapping her fingertips on her knee. 

 So I can't help but cup her chin with my hand and make her look me right in the eye. Her own eyes try to avert my gaze at first, but after a second she concedes. I stroke her jawline with my thumb, looking at her lips while I do so.

 She doesn't miss it.

 Y/N leans forward and kisses my lips, softly, almost timidly, like she's afraid to, when she really has no reason to be afraid. I immediately kiss back. I even make the bold choice of swiping my tongue across her bottom lip. Without hesitation, she parts them just enough to let my tongue through. I explore her mouth a little bit, making her moan quietly, and a little after that is when I choose to pull away.

 "Another time?", I ask hopefully.

 "Definitely."

 Author's Note: I'm sorry that update took so long and was so short, but I've been really busy with school and track and a small writer's block. At least next week's my last of the season. Of course, I'll still have homework, then I have to study for the SAT's, but I'll try to write more.

 So, who's gonna see the girls on the Reflection Summer Tour? Because I'm not. =( Sorry to end with a sad note, but thanks for reading!