Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Your POV

The Next Day

“Y/N, get your ass up and in the car.”

I look up from the book I’m reading and see Normani standing in the doorway, looking at me expectantly.

“Did I miss something?”, I ask.

“No, I just decided on this right now.”

“Decided on what?”  

“You’re going shopping with me”, she explains, as though it’s the most obvious thing in the world.

“Am I allowed to opt out?”

“No.”

“But I hate shopping”, I whine. I don’t really hate it, but I don’t particularly want to go.

“Well, too bad. You don’t have enough clothes, so I’m getting you some. Don’t worry about money; I’ve got that covered.”

“How?”

“I just said not to worry! Now get goin’!”

“A’ight, gimme a second.” I toss the book aside and grab my shoes.

“You’re getting new shoes, too.”  

“These are still okay to wear”, I protest as I slip on the old Converses.

“No, they’re not. Let’s go.”

“Alright, alright”, I mumble as I get up and grab my jacket.

“Leave that”, Mani orders. “It’s not gonna be cold today.”

I follow her out the door. As we go by the family room, Dinah looks up from her phone.

“Where you two goin’?”, she questions.

“Shopping”, Mani answers.

“Without me?”, Dinah feigns offense.

“Yeah”, I deadpan.

“That’s so rude. I’m going with you anyway.”

“And I’m the rude one.”

Dinah giggles and follows us out the door. I walk towards the passenger seat of the car, but Dinah pushes me out of the way before I can even get close.

“You could’ve just yelled ‘shotgun’”, I grumble.

“I decided not to.”

I climb into the back seat of the car while Normani starts it up. Beyonce immediately starts playing, and Dinah starts singing along with it, as does Mani.

“Ugh, sing a little louder, why don’t ya?”

Which they do.

***

Around half an hour later, we reach a huge mall I’ve never heard of before. Mani parks near the food court-the only part of any mall I actually enjoy. I don’t really like malls because they’re so corporate. As you may have deciphered, I’m kind of a hippie when it comes to politics. Liberal would be a better term.

“We’re here!”, Mani sings out.

“Really? I thought we were at the pet store”, I say sarcastically.

“Oh, lighten up”, Dinah says as we exit the car. “You haven’t lived until you’ve gone on a shopping trip with us.”

“I would disagree”, I start. “But I’m in no position to just yet. So I may as well get this over with.”