Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Ally's POV

It's been about ten minutes since the fight happened and Y/N walked away. I'm in my room now, looking through my shoebox full of photos and trying to calm down.

Why did I have to go nuts like that? Sure, I was angry, but that just seems like a bad excuse. I should never have said those things. Especially since they were all true. I mean, they were accidents, all of them, and I regretted doing them. But I can never take back doing them or admitting to doing them, and I don't know which hurts more.

The worst part was when Lauren retaliated and told Y/N the secret I've been keeping for months. I never meant for her to hear about it that way, if at all. And the way she looked at me... and how she told me it was my fault after all....

And I know she's taking it out of context. True, I knew her when she was a baby, but after we lost contact, I really hadn't heard anything about her until last June, when I asked our lawyer to look for her and our father. If I'd have known about foster care earlier, I would've begged my parents to take her in, and they would've agreed. If me and my biological father had kept contact, I would've known about him and his wife's deaths right after it happened, and Y/N would never have gone through foster care.

Maybe it really is all my fault.

I pull out another small stack of photos and look through them. After putting down a few, I stop to look at one from when I was very young. Five years old, maybe. In it, I'm holding a baby in my arms while sitting on a couch and smiling down at her.

I remember this day.

Flashback

Sixteen Years Ago

"Hi, Daddy!", five-year-old me greeted as my father opened the door.

"Hey there!", he greets back, kneeling to my height and giving me a hug. "I missed you."

"I missed you, too."

After he let go, he lead me inside and told me to wait in the living room while he spoke to my mom. I bounded into the family room and jumped onto the couch. A few minutes later, he came back inside.

"So, how was school today?", he asked, taking my backpack and picking me up with it.

"Boring", I told him.

He laughed. "Well, I'll do what I can to make sure this weekend isn't boring."

We stopped in front of an open door, where he took us in, dropped my stuff on the bed, and walked back out.

"I have a surprise for you", he told me. "Do you wanna see?"

"Yes!", I squealed.

"I thought you might", he smiled. Then he put me down and lead me to another room. He opened the door, and we both went inside.

In the middle of the room was a crib.

We stepped towards it together, and when we reached it, he reached his arms inside, picked up a small baby, and turned to me with the child in his arms.

"Ally", he said. "This is your sister."

He came closer to me and crouched down to my level. I looked over at the baby's face. Her eyes were fluttering open.

"Hi!", I said to her. "I'm Ally. I'm your sister!"

She jerked her arm.

"Would you like to hold her?", my dad asked.