Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I’ve been living with my half sister for six days now. In that time span, I’ve done almost nothing. All that’s happened that can be considered noteworthy is visiting Raul in the Mission once and seeing Camila and Dinah make out again twice. They definitely have a thing going on. I haven’t said anything to them about it, though. I’m not sure I will.

It’s Friday afternoon now, and most of the girls are at work. It’s just me and Lauren at the house right now. I have no idea where she is right now, but I’m sitting on the floor in the family room watching American Dad. I have a weird sense of humor. Maybe this is what happens when your bestfriend is a boy. Or maybe it’s me. I don’t know, and I don’t want to.

About halfway through the episode I’m watching, I hear footsteps coming from the hallway. I see Lauren out of the corner of my eye. She steps into the family room and leans her shoulder against the wall, eyeing me with curiosity.

American Dad, huh?”, she says.

“Yep.”

“And you’re sitting on the floor again. Do you always do this?”

“Yeah. It’s a habit. I’m not used to having furniture in the house.” You’d think that after a week of living here, I’d get used to it, but I’m still using the floor. Although, I’m leaning my back against the couch, so I’m making a small improvement.

“Oh. Mind if I join you?”

“Not at all.”

She makes her way towards me, and at first I think she’s going to sit on the couch, but she plops down on the floor next to me instead. The gesture surprises me, but I hide it with a mask of indifference.

“Thought you were gonna take the couch”, I admit.

“I figured it’d be nice not to be the only one on the floor.”

“I guess.”

She nods her head in understanding and turns her attention towards the TV screen. I’m starting to feel uncomfortable in my current position, with my knees hugging my chest and my arms resting on them, so I stretch my legs out and rest my hands in my lap. We don’t look at each other, but it doesn’t feel awkward in any way. The silence is only broken when one of us laughs at something on the TV. More often than not, we end up laughing at the same parts.

I don’t know how much time passes before Ally comes home from work. When she does, Lauren and I are doubling over in laughter at something Roger the alien said. Seriously, best cartoon character ever.

“Hey, girls. What are you-Oh, gosh.” Ally walks in and looks incredulously at the screen. “You two have the weirdest taste in TV.”

“Yeah”, I say, still cracking up. “We know.”

“How was work?”, Lauren asks politely.

“Oh, you know. It was work”, Ally shrugs.

“Good thing I don’t work”, I say.

“Oh, really? Should I make you get a job, then?” Her tone is a joking one, but she sounds a little serious, too.

“Me? Work? I wouldn’t dream of it.” Actually, I did a series of odd jobs for several residents of the Mission when I lived there, but I don’t mention that to Ally.

“Suit yourself. Just remember that it’s expensive living here and you’ll be off to college in a couple of years.”

I’m fully aware of how much it costs to live in San Francisco, especially in this neighborhood. And I don’t need to worry too much about college money because I get my parent’s life insurance money when I turn eighteen. But I’m sure Ally knows that.