Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Your POV

I get off Bart at Mission and 24th. No one comes to greet me as I leave the station, but I expected that. I'm meeting Raul at his house.

I text him that I'm safe and on my way to his house. He replies that his mom is making dinner and 'must've known you were coming even before you did, because she made carne asada'. I lick my lips as I read that, because carne asada is my favorite.

I turn on a residential street a few minutes later, then go on the familiar route to his house. Even after sixteen years, it's still a second home to me. When I reach the house, his mother is the firsts to greet me.

"Y/N, mi hija!", she exclaims before engulfing me in a hug. "It's been so long!"

"Yeah, sorry about that", I apologize as we pull apart. "It's exhausting work, living in another neighborhood."

"Well, I'm glad to see you're okay."

"Same", I hear from the stairwell.

I look up to see Raul bounding down the stairs.

"How are ya?", he asks.

"I'm good, you?"

"Pretty good. Me and Javier are hanging out in the basement. I'll put your stuff in the guest room and meet you two down there."

He's not questioning why I'm here now. But I'm sure he will later.

I hand him my backpack and start for the basement. Aside from In-N-Out and Ghiradelli, it's probably my favorite place in the world.

When I open the door, Javier turns his head to look at me.

"Hey there, chica", he greets.

"Hey", I return. "What are we watching?"

"Team America: World Police."

I freeze. "You're kidding, right?"

"Nope."

I take a good look at the TV. Sure enough, he's not kidding. It's a weird-ass movie, but I shrug, sit down, and watch it anyway. Raul comes in a little bit later.

"Dinner should be ready in about an hour", he says.

"I get to eat it all, right?", I ask.

"Haha, no."

I roll my eyes back at him and return to the movie.

* * *

Dinner goes smoothly. By that, I mean no one asks me why I spontaneously decided to spend the night. It's something they're used to, actually. They know that most of the foster families I've had were neglectful, so they don't complain about my constant presence in their home. I even have a spare key.

After dinner, I help Raul's family clear the table and wash the dishes. Then I go back down to the basement with Raul and Javier to finish the movie. Like I said before, it's a weird-ass movie-not that it keeps me from laughing, of course.

When the movie ends and Javier leaves, Raul finally asks me what he's been wanting to ask me all night.

"What happened with you and Ally?"

"What makes you think something happened?", I shoot back.

"Because you came here on short notice", he explains.

"This isn't the first time I've done that", I point out.

"And when you have, it's because something happened."