Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Your POV

I have no idea how I’m going to do this. I’ve never really talked about my past with anybody, especially those who had no idea. The only ones who really knew anything had been a part of it all. Ally’s an impartial third party. She barely knows anything.

Now I have to tell her everything.

“Believe it or not”, I begin. “Life didn’t always suck. In fact, the first eleven years of my existence were pretty great. Low key, but great. I had a close relationship with my parents, and they tried their hardest to keep it that way. As far as I knew, we were happy.”

“What do you mean?”, Ally interrupts. “‘As far as you know?’”

“I wasn’t old enough to see what was really going on”, I explain. “For all I know, they could’ve been keeping their unhappiness from me. But I don’t know, and never will.”

“Either way, it means they loved you”, Ally whispers.

“They did. I know they did. Anyway, one day they left me at home alone. Said they had something to do and wouldn’t be back for a couple of hours. I didn’t think anything of it. And they weren’t too specific about when they’d be back. But later…”

I stop myself. This is the hardest part. Ally squeezes my hand, encouraging me to keep going.

“A few hours later, I hear a knock at the door. I didn’t answer at first, because they’d told me not to answer the door when I was alone. Then the person shouted that they were a police officer and I needed to open up. So I did.”

I stop myself again, this time to steady my voice, which has begun to shake. Ally squeezes my hand again.

“It’s okay. Keep going”, she says softly. I breathe in to compose myself.

“I open the door, and there’s this cop standing there. I ask her what’s going on, and she says-” I can’t help but sniff. “-she says… that Mom and Dad were killed in an accident and I needed to go with them and identify the bodies.”

Ally takes me into her embrace, and I gladly hug back and bury my face into her shoulder. The sharp knife of memory hits me full-on as I sob uncontrollably.

Flashback

There was a knock at the door. I ignored it and kept watching the TV.

“This is the police. Open up!”

I quickly turned off the TV and ran to the door. I opened it and saw there was, indeed, a police officer standing there.

“Y/N?”

“Yeah, that’s me. What’s going on?”

“Sweetie, I need you to come with me.”

“Why? What happened?”, I asked again.

She gave me an expression I couldn’t read, but knew wasn’t good. I began to panic.

“It’s your parents.”

And with those words, my life changed forever.

End of flashback

The memory subsides, and I begin to calm down. Ally rubs circles on my back with the palm of her hand. When I get my breathing back under control, we release each other. She wipes my face clean of the salty tears with her sleeves.

“Sorry. I’m not used to talking about it, as you may have gathered.”

“Don’t worry, I understand. It’s clear why you don’t. But be honest, am I the only one you’ve talked about this with?”