fifty two

FIFTY TWO

MADAM PRESIDENT

MADAM PRESIDENT

[this is a re-written chapter 52 to
fit with a new plot line]

The Mockingjay had left. The early hours of morning following the wedding, Katniss has boarded a supply hovercraft heading to the Capitol. Talia and Finnick had been woken by Jamie and brought down to Coin's meeting room where she was in a deep discussion with Plutarch and Boggs behind the soundproof glass wall.

Talia, dressed in clothes a little too big for her to cover her growing bump, watched with wary eyes. Katniss hadn't told Talia of her plans completely, had only whispered of her intent to go to the Capitol, to join the war. It was something they had both wanted- in fact, Talia felt a little betrayed that she had not been invited along.

Everyone straightened as Coin, Plutarch and Boggs entered the room and took their seats at the large table.

"As you know, Katniss made her way aboard a hovercraft this morning and took herself to the Capitol. I have no intention of bringing her back until the war is won. She has been broadcast to the Districts as a rebel hero, who now joins the ranks of the soldiers, this is a good opportunity to up the level of our campaign. She will be used for propos only- no real war-fare. Boggs will fly in with her film crew and they will make their way into the Capitol, blocks behind the real soldiers," Coin explains, theres an edge to her words- she's frustrated with Katniss acting out this way. It makes Talia's lips curve upwards.

"And what of us?" Talia asks, gesturing to herself, Finnick and her rebel team from District 4. Finnick shot her a glare from across the table.

"What would you wish to do?" Coin asks, she was even more irritated now. Talia looks straight into her eyes.

"Send me there. Send us all there," She says, "Give us real weapons, forget filming us, focus on your precious Mockingjay. We'll fight a real war,"

"Talia, please-" Finnick begins but Plutarch stands up and causes everyone to turn their eyes to him.

"Talia has earned her keep, Madam President, I believe she's a fine warrior, fit and healthy and good with a gun. Her team are trained in various manners...Finnick can be an addition. Send them," He says quietly, just loud enough for everyone to make out.

Coin grinds her teeth, her hands clenching into fists before extending out again. She meets Plutarch's eye, see's something in them that she trusts. Coin looks back down the table at Talia and stands up, nodding her head only once. Talia nods in reply before turning and sweeping out of the room.

Finnick rushes after her, the rebel team close behind. Boggs salutes Coin before heading out. Plutarch and Coin are the only two left. She turns to him and snarls, "You spoke out of turn. You spoke with more power than you have,"

"If I may," He says, gesturing with his hands towards his chest, he was asking to speak. She nods. "You have expressed deep regret for rescuing Talia Riverthorn- or should I say, Odair- from the arena. You do not like her attitude or her relationship with the precious Victor, Finnick. You've sent her to District 4 and District 2. You let her board that hovercraft to the Capitol when we sent them in to rescue the Victor's. I know you could have stopped her, I know you saw her on the cameras...She has survived every obstacle you have placed in her path. She is a survivor, a warrior....A Victor. The Capitol has been turned into a playground for all of Snow's game makers to have a play around with new toys they haven't yet used in Hunger Games. If that does not end her life...Then I believe nothing will,"

The room falls into silence after Plutarch's words run dry. It is not a comfortable silence, rather it is one filled with angst and frustration. Coin wanted nothing more than to end Talia Odair and her reckless, uncontrollable behaviour. Plutarch was usually right, perhaps he was right this time too.

She nods her head slowly, smiling wickedly, "Very well,"

Beetee had been very welcoming of the District 4 rebel team, he'd fitted them all out with guns, knives, bullet proof vests and Jamie even got grenades. Finnick had grimaced the entire time he suited up, including when Beetee handed over his trident. Talia collected two pistols, one for each thigh, and also two kukri's that rested across her back in sheaths.

"You know how I feel about this right?" Finnick asks when he grabs her arm before they leave.

"Yes, but this means more to me than you will ever understand," She snaps in reply, trying to pull her arm from his grip. He holds fast.

"You're my wife now, and while I cannot control you- I would never dare to try," He smiles softly at that, "I don't want to see you hurt, and given the circumstances,"

His eyes sweep down to look at the bump Talia was trying to suck in, "I don't think this is right,"

"I'm sorry, Finnick, but I have to do this,"

"Then I will come with you, and I will not hesitate to protect you," He says, "Understood?"

She looks at his hand, still holding her arm, and then up into his eyes, "If that is what it will take for you to let me do this,"

"Glad we agree," He says, finally loosening his grip. She presses a kiss to his lips and smiles at him softly.

"Together?" She mumbles, her eyes staring into his.

"Together,"

__________________

So you're probably a lil confused.
Basically, this chapter originally had Talia & Finnick joining the Star Squad.
I've changed my mind about this plot line as I didn't want to spend chapters just copying out lines from the movie.

This allows for my own plot formation, away from Katniss's story- don't worry, the Mockingjay & the Pearl will meet again!

Thank you for reading & I hope you enjoyed!

~cupidlies
❤️