forty three

FORTY THREE

THE DEAL

Her eyes snapped open. The light was almost blinding. Her hands were tucked under a thin blanket, which she pushed away instantly. Where was she? A Capitol hospital? Was she stuck there like her parents?

The door to the room opens and Talia lets out a deep sigh of relief as Primrose Everdeen enters with her mother.

"Its good to see you awake," Mrs Everdeen smiles as she approaches, she looks from Talia to her daughter.

"Is Katniss okay? Did she see Peeta yet?" Talia asks quickly. The Everdeen women look at each other with sombre eyes and turn back to Talia.

"Peeta was experimented on in the Capitol, we're not completely aware of the details yet, but he attacked Katniss upon seeing her and crushed her windpipe, she's currently unconscious, but she's stable," Mrs Everdeen explains softly. Talia shakes her head, her hands ball into fists, gripping the sheets hard. Rage flooded her. She wanted nothing more than to sever President Snow's head off.

"And everyone else?"

"Johanna is very angry, they've been torturing her too, and Gwen, they're both still in the hospital wing. Annie is fine, she's the most stable of everyone, but we've kept her in our care for now. Anyway, enough about them-"

"My family?"

Mrs Everdeen smiles softly, "Mickey received treatment for his wounds, he's having the dressing changed daily to keep them clean. Penny is on the ward receiving nutritional help, she was severely deprived of food, so she's very weak. Samson is okay, but we're also watching him closely. Freddy is the most fine of them all, but he's obviously undergone a very traumatic experience- as have they all,"

"And Finnick?"

"Finnick is still receiving his daily sessions with Kalvin, he knows you're safe, he knows you're here, he's asked to see you numerous times, but he's not yet been allowed. Now, before you interrupt me again, we should talk about your health, Miss Riverthorn,"

Talia nods slowly, looking between them both. "Yes, I guess that would be a good idea,"

"We understand that you underwent a lot of stress in the Capitol,"

"Which visit are we referring to? My first games, the second, or the other day?" She says, its a dark joke. Neither of them find it funny.

"All of them," Prim says quickly, "But we're referring to the other day...You saw a friend die...You had to leave your parents behind...You fainted,"

"Yes, I guessed I did," She says, gesturing to the hospital room, "So, what have I got?"

"Talia, you're pregnant," Prim says softly.