fifty four

FIFTY FOUR

THE ENEMY WITHIN

THE ENEMY WITHIN

Hanson Phon was 6 feet and 5 inches of pure muscle. He carried a sniper rifle across his back everywhere he went and also a revolver on his hip. He was at least 50 years old and his face was naturally always in a grimace. Talia had spoken to him little, but she always felt his eyes, watching her closely. He had once been from District 9, and had once spent hours in the sun gathering grain. How he became so trained in sharpshooting was still a mystery.

Rover Castle was only slightly taller than Talia, and he was leaner than Hanson. He had a coolness about him that reminded Talia of Rossan. His hair was buzzed close to his scalp and his hands and arms were littered with scars- "training" he said when Talia asked how he got them. He barely spoke a word to anyone, and when he did it was usually a single word or a sharp, aloof sentence. He was the commanding leader of the squad and he had been given authority over the teams holo.

Carmen Thistle carried herself as if she was 8 foot tall. Her presence was noted whenever she entered the room. Her blonde hair was chopped sharply to chin length and a tattoo ran from her left ankle, up her leg, across her abdomen and up past her chest over her shoulder and up the back of her neck. It was a vine, and every now and then a white rose could be seen along the vine. No one had seen her naked to see the whole thing, but she'd told them, and her right arm was completely covered in white rose tattoos and vines. District 2 had been her home, but she's served as a Peacekeeper in the Capitol for numerous events. She was educated in following trails and mapping places out, and it helped that she also knew how to throw knives- a District 2 speciality.

Talia regarded the three of them as she stood with them, surrounding a table that projected a map of the Capitol from its round surface. Any one of them could be the traitor, the person Plutarch had warned her of. She looked over her shoulder, her rebel team were packing their bags ready to move out. Could it be one of them? Could they betray her?

"Squad 589, are you ready to move?" Hanson asks, Rover had named him second in command and apparently, he was now speaking for him too.

"Yes, sir," Numerous voices call. Talia nods her head to the three new team members before turning towards her small encampment area her and Finnick had made upon arrival.

Finnick was sitting on his cot, the ultrasound scan in his shaking hands. "Finnick?"

He looks up and folds the photo in half, tucking into the pocket of his black coat that all the high ranking male soldiers of importance wore.

"Sorry, I was lost for a moment," He admits as Talia sits beside him.

"Its okay. It happens to me too," She admits, smiling softly. "Everyone is ready to go,"