one

ONE

CALM BEFORE THE STORM

Fingers stretched across the sheets, feeling for something that wasn't there. Her eyelids flicker open as her hand reaches the edge of her mattress and the sound of boats in the harbour fills her ears, their horns soundings as they head out for a day of fishing. Her fingers curl round the mattress edge as she yawns. The 17 year old girl had much to do before the Reaping tomorrow. Her brother needed new shoes and her mother probably had other things for her to fetch.

She pushes her worn blanket off her body and gets up, pulling her dark blonde hair back into a ponytail before opening her closet, a grey long sleeved t-shirt, fitted cargo trousers and lace up knee high boots- which is what she wore most days, interchanging the t-shirt and trousers when they needed washing for different ones. Her feet take her into the living room that also doubled up as a kitchen and dining room and was often where her eldest brother, Mickey slept when he came home too drunk to fall into the bed he and Talia's younger brother were forced to share. The house was a single storey, two bedroom building- Talia and her brothers shared one room and her parents got the other.

Fredrick has already left for school, he was 13, nearly 14 and he was the smartest kid in his class- sadly, growing up in District 4, in a poor family, meant his only future would be found on a fishing boat, making hooks and nets or in the market selling whatever the fishermen brought in. Or he could train to become a Peacekeeper like her other brother was. Michael had never been the smartest, as displayed by his apparent alcoholism, but he was always strong, always fighting boys who dared to tease his little sister. Sadly, both Talia and Mickey had finished their education, and Freddy was left to defend himself.

Talia scans the room, Mickey was slouched on the sofa- as Talia had predicted he would be since she had not seen him in his bed- and her mother was sorting through washing. Thats all her mother could do when the need for fishing hooks was low, she washed for people who needed it and barely earned a penny.

"Morning," Talia says, giving her brother a kick in the leg, he groans, looking up at his sister, "Drinking again?"

"What does it look like?" Mickey asks, causing Talia to roll her eyes.

"What do you need from the market, mum?" Talia asks, eyes moving from Mickey to Denise, her beautiful mother.

"Just Freddy's new shoes, and whats on this list, dear," Her mother says, hands wringing out a dress.

"Of course," Talia says, grabbing the list from the side and sending her mother a warm smile, "Be back soon,"

"Be careful, dear, the Reaping is tomorrow and everyone is in a shambles," Denise says, nodding to her daughter.