forty two

FORTY TWO

SECRETS

President Coin paced back and forth, her eyes never leaving the screen where bodycams of every volunteer on board the hovercraft was shown. Everyone but Talia Riverthorn was wearing one. Coin had no idea how she'd slipped past them all, how she'd gotten on board armed with only a handgun and a knife. Coin was furious. She'd been thinking of ways to punish her when she returns for her idiotic actions. Though, Talia Riverthorn was never really meant to survive. She saw right through Coin. She knew deep down that Coin was as bad, if not worse, than President Snow himself. They were both dictators, both of them wanted control. Both of them wanted other people to be beneath them, to be inferior. Both of them needed power.

"He's ready, ma'am," A soldier says from behind her. Finally, her eyes flicker away from the screen and towards Beetee who was sat behind an array of different devices, messing with levers and buttons.

"Do it," She says, her eyes wide.

Plutarch was stood nervously beside Beetee, watching closely- he had no idea what the man was doing, but it was fascinating to see him work.

Coin looks up to the screens and on the one beside the hovercraft footage, where the soldiers were now making their descent into the Training Centre, was Finnick Odair. He looked healthier than ever, stood there stoically.

"This is Finnick Odair," He says, looking directly into the lens, "And I have a message about our dear President Coriolanus Snow,"

Katniss stares at the screens, eyes flicking between Finnick and the bodycams. She knew Talia had gone with them, had sneaked out while everyone slept. She was going there to get her family. No one had told Finnick, after all, he'd only just started to believe she was alive.

"You see, President Snow enjoys having a power over people. It starts when you're a child, when you learn the history of how the Districts came to be so poor. When you learn about the Hunger Games. When you are forced to kill other innocent children in an arena of death. When you win your games and think you're finally free of the Capitol's grip. Then President Snow decides that he needs to keep a control on you. So he sells your body to Capitol citizens, because you're considered desirable to them. You're seen as an object and not a person. You are his property,"

Katniss listens carefully, horrified by the idea of being shared around like a doll. Her mind flickers back to the night in the Capitol, after hers and Peeta's Victory Tour. As she walked beside Peeta, men and women lay their hands on her, as if laying some sort of claim. She shudders. She could have been one of those Victor's used by Capitol citizens.