fifty eight

FIFTY EIGHT

REMEMBER THEIR SACRIFICE

Their hearts were thudding in their chests, their feet pounding against the floor. Talia and Finnick were dead. Her baby had died with them. Now they were racing against pods and Peacekeepers. Bullets flew past them and various spikes, saws, chains and even tubes of light that eviscerated you if you stepped into it chased them out of the tunnels. They reach the end of the horror and Bobby sprawls across the floor, Jamie collapsing beside him. They were all that remained.

Jamie is on his feet quickly, helped up by Gale. They look over towards Katniss, who is on her knees in front of Peeta, forcing him to look at her. He looks into her eyes and she presses her lips against his. He stammers, her hands clasped around his cheeks. She pulls away and keeps her eyes on his.

"Stay with me?" She asks quietly. His eyes search hers for a moment, recognising the words, recognising the sparkle in her eye.

"Always," He replies in a whisper. She releases his face from her hands and grabs her bow that was on the floor, standing up.

"C'mon," She says. He scrambles up and follows the rest of them out of the entrance.

As they follow Cressida out, Katniss glances towards the Wanted poster for Finnick, one for Talia on another sign a few meters away. They were gone. The group keeps moving, following Cressida to wherever she was leading them. They eventually come across a row of shops, the streets were deathly silent. No one was around under the veil of night that had now settled over the Capitol.

Cressida bangs on the door while everyone else scans the area, holding their weapons ready. Bobby was wincing at his leg, blood was seeping through onto his bandage. Jamie lifts Bobby's arm over his shoulders, supporting him. Eventually someone comes to the door, allowing them inside. They bolt the door and turn to look at their host. A woman, her features completely altered to look like a cat.

"Tigris, you know me, I'm with Plutarch," Cressida says, reminding the woman, "We need your help,"

Tigris doesn't speak as she leads them through her dimly lit shop and to a wooden hatch, she pulls it open and ushers everyone inside. Jamie helps Bobby down the steps and sits him down against the wall before sitting down next to him.

"They're both gone," Bobby whispers to him, their eyes meeting. Bobby's rounded glasses were cracked in the corner of the left lens, but Jamie could clearly see the tears there. Bobby was a boy, a young boy, trapped in a war and he'd just watched his two inspirations die. Jamie pulls his gaze away and he looks at Bobby's leg.

"Cressida," Jamie calls to the woman in the corner of the room, half her hair was shaved off, vines tattooed on her skin.

"You okay?" She asks, looking up at Jamie.

"Do you have any kind of medical supplies? Bobby's stitches have torn I think," Jamie says, gesturing to Bobby's bleeding leg. Cressida nods, looking through her backpack. She finds a medical kit and hands it over to Jamie.

"Need help? I'm a steady hand?" Cressida asks, crouching down in front of Jamie. Jamie nods. Cressida takes the bandages off Bobby's leg and he had indeed, torn his stitches.

The procedure Talia had gone through- alcohol to clean it, fresh stitches and then more alcohol- was repeated, but Cressida was doing it now. Indeed, she made much neater stitches than Talia had, but still, Bobby silently cried behind his glasses, the tears falling down his cheeks. Not even from the pain of the stitches, or from the wound in general- but from the loss of Talia, Finnick and their unborn baby.

"They had a child," Bobby splutters into the silence of the room. Everyone looks up at him then.

"Talia told me," Katniss says quietly, meeting Bobby's eye, "They both deserved more, their baby deserved more,"

Peeta's eyes well with tears, a child was lost today and he hadn't even known until now. His heart shattered for the deceased couple and the unborn baby who would never see the world they were going to create, once Snow was dead.

"They were brave," Jamie says, looking up from the knife he was cleaning, "They both put their lives on the line for this. They watched their squad die, they watched family die. Finnick was sold to Capitol people, Talia's family were tortured for Snow's fun. They would have been the most beautiful parents. All we can do now is hold onto their memory. Remember them, their names, their faces, their actions and words. Remember their sacrifice, when you kill Snow,"

Jamie looks directly to Katniss, "Kill that bastard, make him feel just a fraction of what they felt in their games, when their families were murdered, when their lives were not theres to control anymore. Make him pay,"

Katniss walks to Jamie and she crouches down in front of him, she looks him in the eyes as she presses her lips to her three fingers and lifts it to her side, "Talia came to my District first on her tour. She stood on stage and I, and Gale, saluted her then, as I salute her now. She is the reason I am stood here today, why I even had the courage to be the Mockingjay. If there was no Pearl, there would be no Mockingjay. I promise you, Jamie...I promise you all, that I will kill Snow, if its the last thing I do,"

______________

🤡

~cupidlies
❤️