sixty two

SIXTY TWO

THE ARROW THAT STRIKES TRUE

It was today. The execution of Coriolanus Snow would happen today. Talia didn't know how to feel about it, happy? Perhaps. She didn't feel that though, not really. Her mind, when she was not in conversation with Finnick or Jamie or Bobby or Jordan, was thinking of her family. She was glad to know Mickey, Penny and Samson were fine and were apparently packing up for their move back to District 4. Back home. Home. She dreamed of it at night, well, when her mind wasn't occupied by nightmares.

"Mrs Odair?"

Her eyes lift from her hands that were fumbling in her lap. She looks at the head of the table. President Coin was sitting there, a thin-lipped smile on her face. Her bobbed silver hair was straightened, and her eyes...Talia could see it there, the hatred. Coin wished Talia was dead, she probably wished Katniss was dead too.

"Your vote?" Coin asks.

"I won't agree to another Hunger Games. We shouldn't kill Capitol children, because then we're as bad as the man we're executing today," Talia explains, she shakes her head, "We won this war to end the Games, to stop children from dying unnecessarily...As much as I hate the Capitol, I don't want to see anymore children die,"

Finnick nods his agreement, as does Peeta. Katniss however, stares right through Talia, as if her words were not even spoken. Talia already can tell what Katniss is about to do. Katniss will agree to the Games, for Primrose.

She does exactly that.

"Haymitch, that leaves you," Coin says, turning to look at the man beside Katniss, he looks at the Mockingjay. They share a knowing look and he nods his head to Coin.

"I'm with the Mockingjay," Haymitch says.

Talia knows the look, that look of "I have a plan, so just go with it", she'd seen Jamie look at her like that and Finnick too.

Once the meeting is over, Talia takes Finnick's hand and they leave the room. They walk side by side, hand in hand, back to their bedroom. Finnick's back was still healing, so was wrapped in bandages that a Capitol nurse came to replace every morning and every evening. He wishes every morning, when he sits up in bed and sees Talia say in the armchair that overlooks the courtyard, that he could have been there when District 13 sent in those bombs. He wishes he could have ran in there and saved Freddy and Primrose. He wishes he could offer Talia some comfort when she writhes in bed at night as terror consumes her dreams. But he is not a man who can grant wishes, and so he can only be there for her, as she is for him. And their baby, growing inside Talia's womb, will be with them in a few short months. Finnick hopes they will be at home by then, in District 4, where they can begin to rebuild.

"What are you thinking of?" She asks as they pause by a window that looks out to the rose garden.

"Of home," He says, "I wish to never leave District 4 once we return,"