epilogue

EPILOGUE

FIFTEEN YEARS LATER

FIFTEEN YEARS LATER

The water reached her bare feet, it was warm from hours of the sun beating down on it. It made her smile, even after all this time. The scent of the salt, the warmness of the sand between her toes, the dolphins way out in the waters, jumping between the waves as they chased fish. It was all part of her home. Talia Odair's head turned and she could see children playing in the sand, collecting seashells to give to their mothers as gifts. The sound of the boats swaying in the water still rattled on, the seagulls cry overhead as they circle.

The nightmares still come. The faces of those that died for her still haunt her. Some nights she doesn't sleep at all. But he is there, Finnick, always there. He holds her while she cries, and sometimes he cries too. Sometimes they visit their families graves to leave flowers every week, sometimes they go months without going to see them. Talia wakes every morning with purpose. She knows who she is and what she needs to do. She has been the Mayor of District 4 for 15 years. The District has been completely rebuilt.

Katniss and Peeta married, and had two darling children, they rarely left District 12, electing to live their own life.
Johanna Mason stayed in District 7 where she helped rebuilt the District and served as an advisor to the Mayor there.
Gwen Baker lived in District 9 with her sister and nephews, after 5 years she returned to the Capitol to have surgery on her eyes, finally living in a world she would like to see.
Bobby Dancer travelled all of Panem with his pioneering technological designs, but eventually settled back in District 6, his home, where he married a man named Jerrad, whom he adopted several children with.
Jamie Kilen re-built his parents bakery and soon after married Cressida, who he had formed a bond with in the Capitol. They had 4 children.
Mickey Riverthorn built his own boat and became one of the best fishermen in District 4, Penny Riverthorn trained in medicine to become a midwife and their son, Samson, grew to be a creative young man. He moved to the Capitol to pursue an education in art.
Finnick Odair became a teacher at the school, not only did he have prior experience mentoring Hunger Games tributes, but he had a deep knowledge and love for history, plus he was a living legend. He was kind and gentle and the children loved his lessons.
Talia Odair was a successful Mayor, she enjoyed her work- she helped people daily, whether it be finding a lost childs teddy or finding a way to help someone afford healthcare or a new home. She was looked up to, and she adored her role. Everyone remembered her sacrifice, everyone remembered what she did to save them. She was their hero.

And of course, their beautiful baby had grown. Their son had been born 14 and half years ago, and he had grown into a handsome young man who was the spitting image of his father, but on top of his head the curly brown hair that reminded Talia of her brother, Freddy. He was named Kai Odair.
4 years after Kai's birth, Talia and Finnick agreed they wanted to have another child, and so they were blessed with another beautiful son, who this time, looked like Talia, but had Finnick's bronze coloured hair. Malik Odair was 10 years old, sporty and boisterous, and everything they wanted him to be. Then, 2 years after Malik, Talia felt something stirring within her. They didn't purposefully try for another baby, but they were more than welcoming of another. And so, they had a third and final baby. Mira Odair was born with a fierceness that matched Talia's. Mira Odair was only 8, but she held herself like a lady. Talia knew one day, Mira might take the President of Panem role that she never did.

And so, they lived in District 4 in their Victor's Village home, the 5 of them. Finally, peace and happiness and life. Talia got all she wanted and more. Their children know of what their parents lived through, what it used to be like, how, they may too have faced an arena of death if it was still as it had been then. The children are thankful of their parents, of all the rebels, of those that died. The children visit the graves of their dead relatives and lay flowers. The annual Panem-wide memorial day is celebrated in the Square, where wreaths are made and songs are sang to celebrate the sacrifice of those who are no longer with them.

Talia and Finnick found their peace, and even though sometimes, they struggle to find the strength to get out of bed- plagued by memories of their traumatic pasts. Haunted by the faces of their loved ones. The faces of those they had to kill, playing on repeat in their minds. They know they can find that strength, because they have both survived so far, and there is nothing that can stop them now, no one to control them, like puppets on strings. They have lost a lot of people, but in the end they will always have each other, they will always have their family.

Alone they are strong,
but together they are stronger.