thirty four

THIRTY FOUR

TICK TOCK GOES THE CLOCK

They burst onto the beach with another tribute in their arms. Peeta and Katniss dragged her into the water as the life escaped her lungs. Talia was sitting in the treeline, watching as Finnick scrambled out of the rainforest and swung his trident round towards the mutant monkeys that refused to step onto the sand.

"Finnick!" Talia calls, rushing out towards him, her calf was still torn open, and her facial wound still bleeding every now and then. Gwen follows her out of the trees.

"Talia!" He says, he drops his trident and rushes to her, wrapping his arms around her and lifting her up. She squeezes him tightly in her arms, her eyes welling with tears.

"I was so worried, me and Gwen have been here ages wondering if you'd come down to the beach,"

"I thought you were dead," Finnick says, shaking his head. They part ways and Finnick briefly greets Gwen.

"Who's she?" Talia asks, nodding towards Peeta and Katniss who were holding onto another tribute in the water.

"District 6," Finnick says.

"The morphling?" Talia asks, "How'd she die?"

"Sacrificed herself to the monkey mutts, saved Peeta's life," Finnick replies, looking at Talia's wound, "What happened in the forest?"

"My ankle got caught, ripped my calf open when I pulled my leg away and hit my head right onto the side of a rock, Gwen had been tracking us the whole time, and she found me at the beach," Talia says, "We've finished all my water, do you think you could get us some?"

"Of course," Finnick nods, watching as Peeta and Katniss allow the District 6 tribute to float away, ready for the hovercraft to come and collect her.

"Glad to see you're okay," Peeta says to Talia as he approaches. Katniss and Talia nod at each other.

"Who's your friend?" Katniss asks.

"Gwen Baker, District 9," The blind woman replies, "We met briefly at the President's Manor,"

"I remember," Katniss says, "Nice sword,"

"Thank you," Gwen replies, her back held a thin sword, much like that of a samurai.

Finnick returns with a canister of fresh water which the group share around, each taking a drink.

"There's fish in the water," Talia says, "I could try and catch us some,"

"Perfect, thank you," Peeta smiles.

Talia is about to pick up Finnick's dropped trident when Finnick grabs it for himself, "You sit down, your leg looks pretty bad,"

"I'm fine," Talia frowns, "It just needs something wrapped round it,"