eleven

ELEVEN

THE GAMES BEGIN

THE GAMES BEGIN

Talia was awoken before the sun had even risen, Finnick had shaken her shoulder with a firm hand and told her to dress in the simple grey sweater and sweatpants provided along with white trainers. She gets up, leaving her hair down as she changes in the privacy of her room. She brushes her teeth for what would be the final time for God know how long and she exits the room, taking one last glance at the beach projection that stretched across the windows.

She walks with Ethan, wearing the same clothes as her, to the elevator and they're taken to the roof of the training centre. The other tributes are boarding the hovercraft and Talia feels her heart pounding as Finnick turns to her.

"I'll see you when you win," He says and Talia blinks away the tears in her eyes as she throws her arms round his shoulders, hugging him tightly. The other tributes scoff at the weak act and he hugs her back, pressing her tiny body against his muscled one.

"I'll see you when I win," She breathes against his ear, it makes his spine tingle and as she pulls away he nods to her.

"Make District 4 proud, little bird," He says and the nickname rocks her, he'd always called her Talia and she can barely hold her tears as she follows Ethan onto the hovercraft, she doesn't dare look back at Finnick as she takes her seat beside Aldar, Ethan on her other side.

Within a few minutes the rest of the tributes are all boarded and strapped into their seats, all of them wearing the same clothes as Talia. A woman goes around injecting a tracker into all of their arms, and when she comes to Talia, the skinny little girl already has her sleeve rolled up and ready. The injection stings and she sees the tracker glow in her arm before it fades- now the Gamemakers would see her every step in the arena.

It takes an hour to reach wherever they were headed and the hovercraft landed underground, as not to give away the arena. The tributes and they're stylists are each sent to a room alone and the doors are locked behind them.

Two tables are filled with food and drinks and as Talia looks at the delicacies on offer she feels like she might vomit.

"As much as you may not want to, it might be an idea to eat," Aldar says, sitting down on one of the sofas. Talia nods, taking two slices of plain toast and forcing them down alongside a glass of water. This might be her last meal and she'd opted for toast, the thought made her smirk to herself.

After about 30 minutes her clothes arrive, handed to Aldar by a Peacekeeper and as the door closes and Aldar turns to face her, she sees the frown on his lips.

"What is it?" She asks, standing up.

"These clothes...They're very specific," He says, placing them down on the low standing table.