twenty nine

TWENTY NINE

WHEN I DIE

Talia Riverthorn had thought about her life a lot, especially recently. Something her father had always said was that as long as you lived your life with honour and love, then your life was well lived. Talia knew she didn't have long left to fill her life with either of those things, the games were days away, she had one more training day, her private session and interview day and then finally, the games would begin. She'd be in another arena with 23 other Victors. She could only hope that maybe Finnick had worked out a plan, a plan to save them both. She didn't care about anyone but Finnick, he had to be safe, she could never forgive herself if-

Her thoughts were interrupted by the balcony door sliding open. Rossan. His grey eyes stare at Talia for a moment, both of them examining each other, neither of them knowing what to really make of the person before them. She looks back out at the Capitol, his eyes made her uncomfortable.

"I was wondering how you were feeling?" He says, his voice was soft but held an authority to it.

"As well as anyone in my circumstance could be doing, I guess," She replies, her voice matching his in loudness, after all, he was still holding the door open with his shoulder, and anyone inside might be able to hear them if they spoke any louder.

Finally, he steps out, allowing the glass doors to slide closed as he leans his arms on the railings, "Finnick tells me you've become close with Mellark,"

"I wouldn't describe it as close," Talia says, the corner of her eye filling with Rossan as he shifts a little closer, still leaning on the railing but looking more in her direction, his tanned fingers tapping against the metal.

"I think its smart, getting District 12 on your side," He speaks a little louder now, fingers still rasping on the metal, the sound was annoying.

"Even if you thought it was stupid, I'd probably still do it, I don't have much time for mentors, especially mentors that aren't supposed to be aiding me. Coral is my mentor," Talia retorts, turning her head to look at him properly, she takes him in with one up and down glance, thick black hair slicked back, a beard that was neatly shaved and a suit, he always wore a black three piece suit, a navy blue handkerchief sitting in the pocket, but no tie or dickie-bow. "Which games did you win?"

He chuckles slightly, "49th,"

"How old were you?"

"15," He replies, "I only killed one person, and that was the final person, and even then, I barely managed, it was a moment of pure luck,"

"I will never understand how anyone under 16 wins the games,"

"The Reaping pulled a lot of younger tributes that year, over half of them were 14 or below," Rossan says, "I don't know if that made it better or worse,"