Part 4: Feelings of Vengance

He turned his head to me and raised an eyebrow.

Vortiger: "Who are you?"

"I am Jürgen Müller. I was led here by your Black Priors"

Vortiger: "Erzebet you only brought this man? You were supposed to bring an army"

Erzebet looked to Vortiger and spoke.

Erzebet: "Him and I struck a deal. If he gave us food and other supplies then I'd spare the people of his village. Though it's inevitable that the village will be destroyed since it no longer has his protection. I got most of what we needed"

Vortiger: "Still. One man will not be enough"

Before Erzebet could say anything more the person sitting in the black throne stood up and spoke.

???: "You're a Warden, yes?"

"I am"

The person stepped down from the throne and stood only a few feet away. Clearly observing me.

???: "Good work Erzebet. Now leave us"

Erzebet smirked and looked to Vortiger with a smug look.

Vortiger: "What? how-"

Erzebet: "Thank you, Apollyon"

Apollyon gestured for them to leave.

Vortiger: "I suppose we will speak later"

The two Black Priors left the room.

Before I was going to turn and leave Apollyon grabbed my shoulder. She pulled me aside so we were looking out of an open window. The window overlooked most of the fortress.

Apollyon: "Tell me Jürgen. Why did you decide to become a Warden?"

I was scared. If I answered wrong I would surely die.

Apollyon: "There are no wrong answers"

She spoke as if she had read my mind. Apollyon moved away to a table by her throne. There was a pitcher and a cup on it. She took her helmet off and poured whatever was in the pitcher into the cup. I couldn't see the front of her head, only the back of it.

I swallowed the knot in my throat and spoke. I decided on telling the truth.

"I saw things I obviously wish I hadn't. I became a Warden so I wouldn't become a weak beggar in the streets of some insignificant town. I became a Warden so I could protect the weak. I want to shield the weak so they don't have to witness the same things I had seen all of those years ago when I was a child"

Apollyon put her helmet back on. She came up behind me and put her left hand on my right shoulder. She looked out to the world from the window and spoke.

Apollyon: "Not to be rude but what did you see?"

I clenched my hand and swallowed another knot.

"I saw my village get raided. I watched my friends get slaughtered in the streets. I... I watched my family get killed, raped and burned"