Part 13: Acceptance

[Sarah]

I stood beside Noah in the village cathedral. Hundreds of villagers were knelt in front of an altar.

Noah: "Thanks for sticking with me today. Guard duty at this time of the day gets really boring"

"Being stuck outside and standing on a wall isn't boring?"

Noah grinned and spoke.

Noah: "At least there's more than one or two colors. Staring at gray for hours tends to make a person feel depressed"

I nodded in understanding. Noah and I stood in the cathedral for hours, watching people of all kinds come and go. Once the priest for tonight's shift came he dismissed Noah and myself.

Noah and I walked out of the cathedral and walked down the single set of stairs that led to the street in front of the cathedral. When we got to the street Noah turned to me. He looked somewhat nervous.

Noah: "Hey. Um.... You want to get a drink?"

I heard what he said and was a little surprised.

"Sure. Where to?"

Noah's posture eased a little and he motioned for me to follow him. I did as wanted and followed him. He guided me through the busy streets of the village and stopped in front of a door. Above the door was a sign that hung form a chain.

'Nobleman's Tavern'

Noah: "I know the owners of this place. Don't worry"

I smiled and followed Noah inside. The atmosphere wasn't dark or depressing. It wasn't hostile or disgusting. The place was actually clean with people having conversations over a cup of whatever they ordered. In the right corner next to the entrance was a small platform with instruments leaned against the walls.

"This place looks cozy"

Noah: "It's the only tavern around here that doesn't have a fight break out every night"

Once Noah finished speaking a short and stocky man with a long ginger beard looked over the bar and saw us.

???: "Noah! Good to see you my boy! What'll it be?"

Noah: "The usual. What do you want?"

I never really drink so I decided on whatever Noah got.

"I'll have what you're getting"

Noah: "Make that two Mr. Elkins"

The man nodded and turned away from us, grabbing two cups. Noah gestured me to follow him once more. This time we stopped to sit at a small corner table.

I sat across from Noah and sat my helmet on the table.

Noah: "I know it was random for me to ask you if you wanted a drink but I can explain"

"You're fine Noah. You don't need to explain"

Noah: "Still. For all of these years I've been really lonely in the village you know. But when you came here and said which family you were from... I felt relieved"

"Relieved?"

Noah: "Your father is a very respectable man in our neck of the woods. I assumed you were the same. And I came to the conclusion that you two are the same. Morally I should say"

Mr. Elkins placed our drinks on the table and smiled. Noah smiled in return and handed me a cup.

"Thanks"

Him and I took a sip of the beverage at the same time. It was... drinkable. I never drink any type of alcohol unless I'm at a celebration or something like that. Unlike me Noah burped and wiped his face with his sleeve.