Part 14: A Flicker of Light

" Inside each of us, there is the seed of both good and evil.
It's a constant struggle as to which one will win.
And one cannot exist without the other. "

— Eric Burdon, English Musician

—————————————————————

[Hans, Fourteen Years Ago]

???: "Daaaaaaaaad!"

.
.
.

???: "Daaaaaaaad!"

.
.
.

???: "DAD!"

The shout pulled me from my thoughts and startled me. I turned my head to the left.

"What is it Jürgen?"

Jürgen: "Eli won't give me back the wooden sword you got me"

Jürgen pouted and crossed his arms. I turned my body towards him.

"Where is your brother?"

Jürgen: "In the fields. I can show you"

"Lead the way and I'll talk to him about your sword"

Jürgen smiled and walked ahead of me. Soon we walked through the fields of wheat and eventually found Elias swinging around Jürgen's wooden sword.

Jürgen: "Eli! Give it back!"

Elias looked at Jürgen and shook his head.

Elias: "No!"

I took a step forward and Elias saw me. He looked at me with widened eyes. He knew he was doing something wrong.

"Elias, give the toy back to your brother"

I said with a stern voice.

Elias nodded and tossed the sword to the ground, just in front of Jürgen. Jürgen grinned and picked up the sword.

"Now come with me boys. It's getting dark"

The two nodded and followed me. They both playfully shoved each other around and laughed. Eventually the three of us made it back to the house. Elias and Jürgen ran inside but I stayed outside in the backyard. I stood in place and took a breath. I exhaled and looked around.

The spring air was wonderful out in the country. I looked up to the sky and saw stars begin to pepper the dark blue and purple canvas. I began to drop my vision downward and stopped once I saw something in front of the small barn that was only twenty or so yards away from the house.

I squinted and felt a jolt of terror throughout my body. I saw an armored figure mounted on a horse. I recognized the figure and froze in place. The half skull helmet was clearly visible and the horse was as black as night.

My eyes began to burn from not blinking which forced me to open and close my eyes. When I opened my eyes the figure was gone. I ran to the place they were and looked around. I saw nothing worth noting.

"Alice!?"

I yelled and my voice echoed through the nearby forest and fields. I heard the back door to the house open and close. I turned my head and saw Anna walking to me. Once she stood in front of me she spoke.

Anna: "What happened? I heard you yell"

"I thought I saw... her"

Anna's face became sympathetic and she put a hand on my cheek.