Finale, Final Part: The Heir of War

Blackstone officers and soldiers formed a dense half ring around the last fortress exit.

???: "Hold the line! Let the people through first!"

Mothers holding children and fathers holding crudely forged swords ran through the exit, running in the direction of the lake that sat to the side of the fortress. Horses and wagons they could escape with waited there. Vikings poured around street corners and alley's, rushing towards the knight's that made a final stand.

???: "Keep them away from the people leaving! Don't give them a fucking inch of dirt!"

A dozen Warden's that stood in the middle of the half ring moved to the front, lining the outer defense and standing in top guard stances. The Blackstone soldiers breathed heavily from the fight, their hands and legs nearly shaking from either fear or exhaustion.

The Vikings let out battlecry's and huffed like beasts. Nearly hundreds of them rushed the half ring of knights. Axes were thrown and fire-tipped arrows flew towards the knights.

???: "Here they come lads! Show them how we fight!"

Every man held their sword with a tight grip. It was like the world went deafly silent. Nothing but the vibrations in the ground were what the knights could sense. Adrenaline pulsed through every man's veins. Sixty knights against the Viking horde. Suddenly an officer's voice cut through the air.

???: "What is it we say to death, lads?!"

The Blackstone soldiers yelled out nearly all at once, pointing their swords, shields and spears towards the incoming force.

???: "Not now! Not today!"

???: "For Ashfeld!!"

As soon as the words left their mouths, Viking soldiers collided with the wall of knights. Limbs, blood, armor, swords, axes and shields flew through the air as chaotic close combat ensued. Near endless waves of Vikings attacked as the knights fell one by one.

A young girl who fell behind her parents held an even younger brother in her arms. She ran through the middle of the knight's before tripping, falling to the ground and catching herself with one hand. By now the Vikings were slaughtering the knights. The young girl screamed before being pulled up by one of the surviving Wardens.

???: "Get the hell out of here! Go!"

The Warden pushed the girl towards the last exit before raising their sword and slamming it's blade down into the side of a Warlord's neck.

The young girl pushed through the carnage, seeing her parents urging her onward from the gate. The younger sibling was a boy, crying from the loud noises all around them. As the girl pulled herself from the chaos a cold feeling hit her in the back, then another. Something warm began to seep through her clothes and run down the front and back of her body.

The girl looked down, seeing two blades in her body. One protruded through her stomach. The other stuck out of the side of her chest. The girl stopped moving her legs, tripping forward. The young boy in her arms cried out as blood covered the child's clothes and skin.

The boy held out his arms towards their mother and father. The girl used her remaining energy to extend her arms out and toss the young child towards their family. The girl's father dived for the tossed boy, snagging the child out of the air.

The Vikings ripped through the last of the defending knights, setting their sights on the small surviving family. Before the Vikings could reach the fleeing family, orders being shouted from behind them caught their attention.

Viking warriors returned to the front gates, cutting down any remaining Blackstone knights or any Samurai in their path. The battlefield outside was littered with bodies, and the sun began to set.