Part 16: The Purpose

As the fires from the battle the night before began to die down, a Valkyrie stood above a large body. The body was once her father, Gudmundur. Viking villagers and warriors worked together to pick up the pieces of the once standing storehouse and city. Agda knelt next to her dead father and placed a hand onto his lifeless shoulder.

She spoke something quietly and wiped away a tear. A Viking warrior walked up the steps that led up to Agda. Once he got to the top he waited for her. Agda stood up and turned to the warrior.

Agda: "Is it true? Are the Knights gone?"

The warrior nodded.

???: "They're gone. Though they seemed panicked before they left. Like they had forgotten something or someone"

Agda nodded at his response and grabbed her shield from her back.

Agda: "How many civilians survived?"

???: "Not many. The Knights were ruthless in their attack"

Agda: "How much food was left?"

???: "Little to nothing. Just enough to go around"

Agda felt the anger build up inside of her. She gripped the handle on her shield and took in a deep, slow breath.

Agda: "The knights always call us barbarians and monsters. And yet they burned our land and slaughtered our families and think nothing of it. I don't think they understand that raiding is apart of our culture. We don't just raid for the sake of chaos"

???: "They're hypocrites, that's what the knights are. The selfish tin heads are just as ruthless as the war born"

Agda knelt over her fathers body and picked up his sword. Agda remembered when her father would let her use it once she graduated from wooden sticks during her training. Agda held the sword with a firm grip and turned to the Viking warrior.

Agda: "Help with the clean up process in the lower area. We need as much help as we can get if we want to recover"

The warrior nodded and ran down the steps he had taken before. Agda waited a few seconds before she could no longer hear the warriors footsteps. Once she thought it was safe, Agda closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. She lifted her head to the sky and let out a long exhale.

After the exhale, Agda let out a long whistle. Soon Agda could hear flapping wings and opened her eyes. An eagle soared towards her. Agda extended her arm and the eagle landed. The eagle gripped Agda's arm and tilted its head towards her. Agda took a golden band with ornate Norse engravings on it. She held it to the eagle who grabbed the band with its beak.

Agda: "You know who you take this to"

The eagle began to gain air as it left Agda's arm and flapped its wings. The bird flew into the air and soared into the direction of an ancient shrine. The shrine of Jörmungandr.

.

.

.

.

.

Apollyon stood on the edge of a frozen waterfall. She could not feel the ice or the cold wind, but she could feel a hand suddenly place itself onto her right shoulder. Apollyon gasped and turned her head to see who the hand belonged to. Apollyon's eyes widened as she saw her former husband, Hans, standing there.

Apollyon: "Hans?"

Apollyon put a hand on her chest and looked around the area surrounding her. What was happening?

Hans drew back his hand and looked at Apollyon with confusion.

Hans: "Alice? What's wrong?"

Apollyon: "You're not real. What type of dream is this?"