Part 11: Love & Heartbreak

This is the largest part that has ever been published for this story or any of my stories as a matter of fact. I couldn't have done it without help. More on that later. Anyways enjoy this part and grab a little snack, this is going to be a long one.

———————

Hans filled a bucket of water for his master and brought it to his masters quarters. Hans set the bucket on the floor near his masters dining table. He then left his masters quarters and began walking the halls of the fortress.

While walking Hans looked out of an archway that looked to the outside of the fortress. He saw a girl about the same age as him training with her master. Hans walked out of the fortress and stood on the edge of the clearing that held the training grounds.

The girl and her master were fighting with wooden swords. Hans observed the girl as she fought. She was good. Way better than any one else he had seen here who wasn't a student. The girls master was able to disarm her. The girls wooden sword flew into the air and landed at Hans's feet.

Hans picked up the sword as the girl he had been watching ran to him.

???: "Can I have that back?"

Hans looked into the girls eyes. They were beautiful which kept Hans from giving her the sword back. The girl looked confused and held her hand out. Hans snapped out of his stare.

Hans: "Oh! Sorry about that. Here"

Hans handed the girl the wooden sword and watched her run off to continue training. When the girl and her master continued to train as Hans's master came up from behind and spoke.

???: "Watching them train I see"

Hans nodded. He kept his eye on the girl. Who was she?

Hans: "The girl. Who is she?"

Hans's master looked at the girl and smiled.

???: "That's Alice. She's been here a little longer than you. She's about the same age as you though"

Hans: "Really?"

His master looked at him and nodded. Hans looked at the girl and her master until his master put a hand on his shoulder.

???: "Come, we have training of our own to do"

Hans: "What are we doing now?"

Hans's master grinned and spoke, knowing Hans wouldn't like his answer. They both entered the fortress.

???: "You will continue learning how to parry attacks"

Hans: "UGGGGGHHHHH"

***

It had been six months since Hans and first seen Alice. Hans continued to watch her train and eventually Alice had taken notice. Soon she had started to watch Hans and his master train in the fortress. Hans felt something whenever she would walk past him or when they'd sit near each other. Little did Hans know that Alice had recently begun to feel the same way towards him.

One day after a long training session Hans walked to his quarters. After cleaning himself up and putting on fresh clothes Hans left his quarters and went to the mess hall for some food. Hans got an apple and two slices of bread to eat. While eating his apple Hans saw Alice walking towards him, holding a woven basket. When Alice was only a few feet away he spoke.