•04•

||SWORDS AND MAGIC||

|CAMI

We were all stretching, getting ready for practice. Every once in a while I would tease Kim about Carlos, my brother, who she met yesterday and crushed an apple when he said her name. I struggled so much, trying not to laugh, but I have to say, they'd make a great couple. "Guys! Huge problem! Kelsey Vargas, the coolest girl in school, is on her way down here," Jerry announced, rushing into the dojo.

"Don't panic. We've trained for this. Guys, bust out the emergency deodorant," Jack ordered.

"Yeah," Eddie nodded.

"I don't need deodorant," Jerry insisted as the other boys started rummaging through their bags for deodorant.

"We all need deodorant. We're teenage boys!" Milton deadpanned. "Our bodies are a smorgasbord of smells."

"I don't take any chances. I'm wearing a necklace of air fresheners right now," Eddie told us as the boys applied deodorant and me and Kim continued stretching. "This week I'm Alpine Meadow."

"I told Kelsey I was a martial arts expert and the youngest sensei in history," Jerry admitted. I smiled, amused, before grabbing my red pad helmet I use for sparring. Rudy came out of the office, like he normally did, but got stopped by Jerry. "Yo, Rudy. Kelsey's on her way. Dude please hook me up with that black belt."

"You can't have this belt. It's a symbol of hard work, honor, and respect," Rudy replied.

"Well, then why do you use it to walk your dog?" Jack asked as he approached Rudy.

"That was one time and it was an emergency. I had a pug with skorts and a new white carpet," Rudy argued. "Look, can we please stop talking and get to sparring please? Jerry you're up against Cam, Milton you're with Eddie, and Kim you're with Jack." I started putting on the padded helmet, stretching a little more for preparation. "Come on guys, let's go!" Rudy clapped as Kelsey walked in.

"Hi Jerry. Hey Cam!" Kelsey waved.

"Sup Kels," I greeted.

"Kelsey! What a surprise!" Jerry exclaimed.

"So these are your students that fear and respect you," Kelsey asked disbelieving as she looked at me. She knows I'm not scared of much. I don't really know what I'm scared of, to be honest.

"Yes, we are," I agreed in a fake sweet voice. "I'm about to fear and respect the living grits out of him, right now."

"Oh no. Not my grits. I'm gonna need my grits," Jerry whispered to me. I grabbed a hold of his arm, flipping him onto the mat. "Yeah. I'd say you got that move down pretty well. Uh you guys take a 5. Kelsey and I are gonna get a froyo. Come on Kelsey," Jerry beckoned as he took Rudy out of the dojo.

"Is he ok?" Kelsey asked me.

"He's the youngest sensei in history. Why wouldn't he be ok?" I sarcastically asked, laughing at my cousin's clueless state. He's got some explaining to do.

•••

Me, Jack, Eddie, and Kim were sitting together on the sitting area next the main stairs of the school getting some school work done. I was sitting in between Kim and Jack comfortably when Jerry approached us. "Hey. Thanks a lot Cam! You cost me a date with the coolest girl in school!" Jerry exclaimed.