•55•

||GABBY'S GOLD||

|CAMI

It's been a week or so since I've returned from LA. I've gotten back into the gist of karate which was easier than I thought it'd be. Right now I was preparing for the school gymnastics team. "And here they come! Give it up for your gymnastics team, the Seaford Killer Whales!" Only me and Kim were able to get through the paper without stumbling over.

"Woo! Lookin' good, Cami!" Jack cheered.

"There is something called a grieving period, you know!" I heard Milton shout across the gym. I followed his view line and saw Julie kissing some other dude. Did Milton and Julie break up? Am I missing something? I was called up to do the uneven bars, my second best category. My first is floor.

"This is great! Half their team has food poisoning. Tori, all you have to do is complete one vault and we win!" Kim told Tori as I approached them.

"I got this. Next time you see me, we'll be at Steven Fullen's house, sipping celebration smoothies. It's gonna be sick," Tori fantasized.

"Tori, will you stop talking about smoothies? Ok, just get out there and focus," Kim finished with the same weird lisp Tori has.

"I think you've been spending too much time with Tori," I told her.

"I meant focus!" she repeated without the lisp. Tori was doing alright with the vault until Whaley, the mascot, blocked Tori's mat, making her fall onto the mats. Our coach slammed her knee through the clipboard.

"Ya know, Cami. If you quit now you won't have to go up against my undefeated Swathmore team this Saturday," Claire tauntingly offered. I think she's gotten over the crush thing and now she's just snobby.

"We're not afraid of your Swathmore team, Claire," I mocked her accent. "Our coach taught us that we are not quitters, we are winners!"

"Alright losers! I quit!" the coach threw her jacket into my chest before the other girls did the same. Well, with the exception of Kim.

"Ok, well, my other coach," I corrected, referring to Gabby. I wasn't kidding either. She did teach me not to give up. So did Rudy. That is a very consistent message.

•••

"Hey Cami. Any luck finding a new coach?" Jack asked as me and Kim entered the dojo.

"Nope. We begged every adult that we know, but since we lose so much, they have no interest," I sighed. "Well, there is one person. I'll be right back." I walked back out of the dojo, dialing Gabby's number. She's supposed to be on a tour for the next couple months and I think she's in Seaford this week.

"Hello?" she answered.

"Gabby! Hey! It's me, Cami," I greeted.

"Oh, Cami! How are you?" she asked.

"Well, I'm in a bit of a pickle here. Our gymnastics coach quit and we can't find a replacement. I was wondering if you could fill in for the week," I replied.

"Sure! I'd love to help! Where should we meet up?" Gabby asked.

"At the Seaford mall in the courtyard in front of the Bobby Wasabi dojo. Thank you so much!" I thanked.

"No problem. I can make it tomorrow after competition," Gabby said.

"Alright, great! See ya soon!" I beamed before hanging up.

•••

"So um our coach isn't coming back," Kim started making some people leave for obvious reasons. "But the good news is I have decided to let Cami step up and fill that role." More people left.