•63•

||QUEEN OF KARTS||

|CAMI

I was racing in the blue kart, trying to beat my bladder. Those last 2 lemonades were a mistake. "3 minutes and 21 seconds. That's a new track record folks!" the announcer announced making me beam.

"That was awesome," Jack praised.

"That was amazing," Milton added. I took off my helmet, revealing my face.

"That was Cami?" Rudy asked as I got out of the go kart.

"Cami, you can really drive," Jack nodded. "Were you trying to break the course record?"

"Nope. I was trying to beat my bladder. I had too much to drink," I corrected before hopping over the fence and jogging to the bathroom. I'd sprint, but I was afraid I'd pee myself.

•••

"Like my shirt?" Milton asked me as we sat in Falafel Phil's together for lunch. "I got it from Carol Miller for my birthday." Milton did the wink and tongue click Jack normally does making me give him an unimpressed look. "Ya know, a girl doesn't give a boy a turtleneck unless she's trying to say something." He repeated his wink and tongue click.

"She thinks your neck looks ugly," I automatically replied, mocking his wink and tongue click.

"Hey! Did you guys see what's in Phil's window?" Jack asked, sliding into the seat next to me.

"Uh yeah. Those cockroaches trying to escape Phil's by using their little legs as shovels?" I asked.

"No," Jack dragged out. "This flyer."

"Oh the Junior National 500 Go Kart Race is being held here at the Seaford Race Track," Milton handed me the flyer.

"Cami, you gotta do this," Jack encouraged.

"Do you guys have any idea how expensive this could be? The go kart, the pit crew, and not the one you guys use for your deodorant, and highlights for my hair," I listed. "I wanna win looking good. You can't stop me."

"Guys, all we need is a sponsor," Jack pointed out.

"That's not gonna be a problem. Oh let's just wait for some crazy man with a lot of money to come rollin' in here," Milton sarcastically agreed. Bobby rolled in on his throne, making me raise my eyebrows.

"I'll have a number 7 platter. Oh and can you make change for this giant sapphire?" Bobby asked, holding the big rock. "Oh you know what? Just keep it. Oh good! Milton! You finally covered up that ugly turkey neck of yours."

"I told you," I cockily shrugged.

"Bobby," Milton ignored me. "How would you like to sponsor a go kart team?"

"Absolutely not!" Bobby answered cheerfully.

"Your face can be on the kart," I tried.

"I'm in!" Bobby agreed. "Daddy loves his face." Me and Jack smirked and fist bumped. Bobby's face is Bobby's weakness.

•••