11

"Hi! I'm Karl!"

George's POV

Sapnap gave the recruit, Karl, a big smile. The three sat down across from him. Dream sat in the middle with George on his left and Sapnap on his right.

"Hi Karl! I'm Dream, this is Sapnap, and this is George," Dream said as he gestured between them.

"Why are you wearing a mask?" Karl asked, getting straight to the point.

Dream replied, "It's supposed to stay on until this guy," Dream jabbed a thumb towards George, "decides to make up his mind."

Karl looked at George curiously, "I feel like I know you... you seem really familiar."

George straightened, "I'm the prince."

Karl stiffened and his eyes widened in surprise and horror. "The prince?! Prince George? What are you doing here?"

George was confused as to why Karl was afraid.

"Dream," George said with a glare at Dream, "kidnapped me and is holding me hostage."

Karl's eyes widened further and he looked to Dream, "Well, why the honk haven't you killed him yet?"

Dream chuckled as George squawked, "Why does everyone want to kill me?!"

"You and your repulsive father are horrible leaders." Karl spat.

George frowned and Dream interrupted, "That's enough Karl. We're here to talk about you, not George."

Karl shot a glare to George before looking at Dream. George crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair.

Sapnap cleared his throat, "So... Karl, tell us about yourself."

"Um, I know a lot of history and stuff. I also am kinda good at predicting the future, but that's more of a hobby. I'm really good with spying. Some would also say I bring a likeable energy wherever I go," Karl said enthusiastically.

"Cool!" Sapnap said with a smile.

"I'll get straight to the point Karl. Why are you here? Why do you want to help us?" Dream asked.

Karl's face fell and he took a breath, "My, uh, my village was raided by a group of castle soldiers..." Karl paused and looked at his hands, "...they murdered my family and friends. I barely escaped with a few of the people in my village." Karl took a shaky breath, "They burned my home to the ground, burning my family with it."

The room went silent. George's eyes widened in horror. He felt tears prick at the corner of his eyes, but he blinked them away. His father wouldn't do something like that... would he?

George realized he had no idea.

"I'm really sorry Karl," Sapnap said softly and grasped Karl's hands comfortingly.

Karl looked up at Sapnap and mumbled, "Thank you."

Sapnap smiled softly and Dream spoke up, "You're very brave for joining our cause. We plan to be successful in accomplishing our goal for a better place... a better future."

Karl nodded. "I want to help. I mean... I don't have anywhere else to go."

Karl glanced to George and gave him an unreadable look. George was still in shock after what Karl had said. George diverted his gaze from Karl's stare.

Dream and Sapnap continued their questions for a little while more. George sat there numbly, barely registering the questions. He couldn't stop thinking about Karl's village. He family was murdered by his men, his father's men technically, but George still felt to blame.