Chapter 38

"Good morning, happy birthday!" I said excitedly as I kissed Trent. My alarm just went off and I wanted to make sure Trent was awake before I started getting ready. I also wanted to be the first one to wish him a happy birthday.

"Good morning," he replied groggily.

"How does it feel to be an adult?" I asked.

"No different than being 17 honestly," he shrugged.

"You really don't like your birthday, do you?" I asked.

"Not at all."

"How come?"

"My mom used to make a big deal out of it, and I tolerated it for her, but since she's gone, I don't want to even think about it. I don't like the reminder that I'm getting older and being given more responsibility, and I have to like figure out what I'm going to do with my pathetic life."

"Hey, you're not pathetic, and I'm so happy I get to celebrate you getting older. That means you're still here, you're still with me."

"Oh baby, I could never leave you. If it means that much to you I'll celebrate every birthday until the day I die."

"Perfect! Because I have some plans for tonight," I said, winking at Trent as I got out of bed. I went to my bathroom and got ready, and Trent did the same after me. We ate a quick breakfast before heading off to school.

"You haven't smoked a single cigarette this morning," I smiled as we walked hand in hand through the hallways. The looks and stares had mostly stopped by now, everyone used to the fact that Trent and I were together.

"I'm really trying to quit," he said as he rubbed his thumb absentmindedly over the back of my hand. I could tell he was fidgety and craving a cigarette, his thumb was moving in windshield wiper like motions, definitely not the calming motion I was used to.

"I can tell," I laughed and held up our hands. Trent immediately stopped and dropped our hands back down.

"Sorry, I'm just really craving one," he admitted.

"That's okay, I'm proud you're not giving in."

"Thanks, after I calmed down from the initial shock of my dad's heart attack, I realized it was his bad habits that did him in, if I kept up smoking, I could end up having a heart attack before 50 too."

"Well, being an adult may not feel different to you, but you're definitely making very grown-up decisions today." I smiled, squeezing his hand as we stopped outside of my bio class.

"I guess," he shrugged. "I'm just trying to make sure I'm around to annoy you for a long time," he teased.

"Oh you will be, don't worry," I smirked.

"That feels like a threat and I don't know why," Trent raised an eyebrow at me.

"Don't worry about it," I kissed him quickly. "I'll see you at lunch babe," I turned away from Trent, letting go of his hand and walking into class. Trent stayed there for a minute watching me until I rolled my eyes at him and shooed him away.

"That boy is head over heels in love with you," Mrs. Reynold's laughed as she got to my desk to hand out the worksheet for today's lab. My cheeks were on fire and I just shrugged in response. "Sorry I didn't mean to embarrass you."

"It's okay." I replied, looking around the room to see that Vivian was glaring at me from the other side. I just smiled widely at her. I had what she wanted, and she couldn't stand it. It kind of felt good to be envied.