Chapter 11

"What did you hear?" Trent asked as he drove me back to my house.

"A-all of it," I stuttered. Trent let out a heavy sigh, and hit his steering wheel, which caused me to jump and whimper.

"Gray, shit I'm sorry I scared you," he apologized. I wasn't sure if it was for hitting the steering wheel, his dad coming home, or both. "I didn't think he would be home till late, I just didn't want him to catch you there. I also didn't want you to hear that."

"H-how come?"

"Because that part of me is something no one knows about. Not even Brayden."

"He seems to not know a lot of things," I muttered under my breath.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Shit.

"H-he was asking m-me about u-us," I admitted.

"What about us?"

"Like, wh-what are we?" He sighed, seemingly reluctant to answer which had my nerves on end.

"We are... something I am not ready to label yet."

"I-I get it. I've been o-out since junior high; you're just figuring it out n-now."

"Like I said before, I don't know what I'm feeling. And if my Dad found out before I had this all figured out it would be... well let's just say he wouldn't be too happy."

"I u-understand."

"I have never been good at feelings, especially after my mom, I haven't really felt them. This is new, especially with someone like you. I haven't really talked to Brayden about it because I'm scared to."

"I think you should." I told him. "He just wants to know; he just wants to help."

"Maybe I will. This is you." Trent says as he pulls up to my house.

"Can you just stay completely still for a second?" I ask, and he looks confused but nods. I take a deep breath and before I can stop myself, I lean across the front seat and place a gentle kiss to Trent's cheek. I see his cheeks flush and he smiles. "Thank you, for opening up to me." I say before I jumped out of his truck and ran into my house.

"Grayson?" Mom called as I closed the door.

"Yeah Mom?" I answered as I entered the living room.

"Where have you been?"

"You probably won't be happy with the answer."

"You were with Trent," she stated.

"I told you, I'm not going to stop seeing him."

"Dinner's going to be ready soon, you should go clean up." She said, completely ignoring what I had just said. I rolled my eyes and went upstairs to put my bag away and prepare for what would no doubt be an awkward dinner.

"Grayson, you remember Adam, right?" Dad asked about halfway through our otherwise silent meal. I froze, my fork dropping from my hand and crashing onto my plate, the sound of metal against the China causing me to jump.

"Um, y-yeah. Of course." I weakly replied.

"He called to say he's going to be in town next week. We invited him to stay with us."

"What?" I squeaked.

"Well, we haven't seen him since you were like 13, Gray. He is your dad's best friend after all." I felt a weight crash against my chest as my mom spoke. I could not have him staying under the same roof as me for a week. Before I went into a full panic, I excused myself from the table, running up to my bedroom and locking the door behind me. Once I was safely inside, I began to let out my choked sobs and gasps for air. When I couldn't calm myself down, I turned to the razor, but even that couldn't calm me down tonight. Instead I spent the rest of my night hyperventilating in my bed, until I just passed out from sheer exhaustion.