Chapter 41

The day was finally here, Trent was graduating from high school. Not that I didn't think he would, I knew he could do anything he set his mind to. But he far exceeded everyone else's expectations of him, and I was so proud. Nat and I were up in my room getting ready to go to the ceremony, my parents were taking us so we could watch Trent and Brayden walk. Natalia was so proud of Brayden, he was graduating and getting a scholarship to The College of New Jersey. He would be the first in his family to go to college, and he planned on getting custody of his siblings and setting a good example for them. Trent would be off to Rutgers in the fall, still undecided but I was so happy he was going. He would figure things out, I had no doubt.

"How do I look?" I asked Nat as I buttoned my dress shirt and adjusted the collar.

"Perfect! How do I look?" Nat twirled in her sundress and her curls bounced as she spun.

"Beautiful! Ready to go?" I asked.

"Yes!" Of course, my parents made a huge deal about how nice we looked. You would think it was our graduation, I didn't even want to imagine what our graduation was going to be like. We drove to the hospital to pick up Trent's father, he was doing really well with his program, so they gave him a day pass to come to the graduation. He was also coming to the graduation party my parents were throwing for them, but we had strict orders to bring him back if it was too much. My parents were a little nervous about bringing Mr. Rodriguez, and I didn't blame them. When we told them how he was in rehab they kind of flipped out, I had very conveniently left out that his dad had the heart attack because he drank too much.

"Grayson, why didn't you tell us?" My mom questioned as I sat with them at dinner one night.

"I didn't want you to come home early, or worry, or judge them..." I mumbled the last part.

"We warned you about Trent, we should have known it ran in the family," Dad grumbled.

"See, this is why I didn't tell you! You're judging them and you don't even know them. You've seen that Trent has really changed since we got together. You two aren't perfect either you know?"

"Grayson!" My father yelled.

"I'm not wrong. You don't know what Trent's family has been through, yet you're sitting here talking about how the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I'm sick of you guys thinking Trent isn't good enough for me."

"We're sorry," My mom started to say something else but I cut her off.

"We're picking Trent's dad up from rehab to surprise him at graduation. That's the end of the discussion." I got up from the table and went to my room.

So here we were, heading to the wing of the hospital where Trent's dad was staying to pick him up. I was slightly nervous to be alone with Mr. Rodriguez, I mean Victor, without Trent. I just had to remind myself that he was a different person now, and to just breathe and stay in the moment. Use those grounding techniques Dr. Meyer taught me. We approached the check in desk and I saw Ryan standing talking with the receptionist. He smiled wide when he saw my Dad and I approach.

"Grayson! It's so good to see you!"

"Hey Ryan! This is my dad," I said gesturing to my father as he followed behind me.

"Jonathan," he introduced and held out his hand. Ryan shook it and introduced himself in return.

"Well, you ready to spring Victor out?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," I laughed nervously.

"It'll be fine Grayson! He's been doing amazing in his program, they've been working with him to prepare him to be at this party, I have total faith in him." I nodded and Ryan led us to Victor's room. "Knock, knock!" He said as we entered. Victor's face lit up when he saw me and I have to say it warmed my heart.