Close as strangers

»Ashlee«

"Every day it gets harder to stay away from you."

(Luke)

Luke: i'm bored... how's class?

Ashlee: boring. what class you in?

Luke: math

Ashlee: shit

Luke: what's 9 + 10?

Ashlee: twenny wan

Luke: yo stupid

Ashlee: your face is stupid

Luke: then why'd you take a picture of me this morning and send it to your friend?hmm?

Oops, maybe I wasn't as ninja as I thought. I tapped my fingers on the edge of the desk thinking of a comeback. The teacher droned on in monotone, her voice echoing around the classroom like a annoying bug at night.

Ashlee: i was sending it to a circus to see if they'd take you on as a clown. they said no 'cause your face is too funny.

Luke: nice

Ashlee: how'd you get my number?

It had just dawned on me, I wondered how after thinking about it. I never gave him my phone number. Maybe I had this around the wrong way and Luke was the ninja.

Luke: you wrote it on the rent sheet when you agreed to live with me

Ashlee: oh

Luke: ;)

Ashlee: ;)

I didn't notice the teacher standing over my desk, staring down at me as I texted Luke. I heard a forced cough and I looked up to connect eyes with the stern woman. Michael was snickering in his seat next to me, I fought the urge to lean over and hit him on on the arm. I leant backwards, sinking down in my chair, hoping for the furniture to cop some of the glare instead of me.

One word escaped the teachers lips, "detention." Dread filled me as she walked back to the whiteboard, to continue with the lesson.

Michael had stopped smiling now, he was looking dead ahead, glaring at the teacher. Why was he glaring? I was the one who got the detention. His paper crumpled up in his fists, still staring ahead he began to mold it into a tight ball. I had figured out what he was doing and reached an arm out to stop him.

He threw it anyway with his other arm. "Bitch!" Michael yelled, standing up to put more force behind the throw. It hit the teacher in the back of the head, it bounced off and slowed down as it hit the linoleum.

The teacher turned around, her face going red with anger. Her eyes landed on the pink haired boy, he stood out like a match in the dark. "Michael," the teacher spoke too calmly, "detention for you too." She returned to the board once more and the lesson went on without another hitch.

* * *

When we got into the hallway after class, I pushed Michael against a nearby locker. Pinning his chest with my forearm. I wasn't that strong and he could just push me aside with the flick of his hand, he wouldn't though. Michael knew if I had something to say, he would bloody well listen.

I was slightly mad at him, he'd left me the rest of the lesson wondering why he'd got detention with me. My eyes trailed up Michael's slim figure, resting my view on his pale face. Michael licked his lips and nervously began biting down on his bottom one. His green eyes were slightly widened, his dark pupils reflected the illuminated hallway behind me.