Mrs All American

»Ashlee«

"Your secret's mine, close your eyes and I'll make you melt."

Calum was raiding Ashton's cupboards for food, he was finding it hard to find anything unhealthy for his sugar cravings.

"I have some weeties up the top," Ashton smirked and sat down at the bench with me.

"Do you have like...chocolate or anything?" Calum decided to ransack the fridge.

"I have carrot sticks."

"This is bull!" Calum yelled, pulling out a packaged turkey sandwich.

Ashton looked as if he were about to protest against Calum angrily eating the sandwich. I was surprised when my brother held back and let the hungry boy eat.

Luke and Michael stumbled up the stairs and came into view. Michael looked flustered, sweat was beginning to drip down his forehead.
Luke had an air of victory around him, he held up his head as he plonked himself down on the stool to my right.

Michael just groaned and began to look through the cupboard for anything Calum might have missed.

"What's up with Mikey?" I asked Luke, seeing as he had spent a few minutes more with him downstairs.

Luke shrugged his shoulders, "he just came out to me," Luke whispered in my ear quietly. Ashton seemed not to notice, he was more focused on the boys messing his kitchen up.

"What?" That wouldn't make sense, Michael isn't... I looked at the dyed blonde boy with a questioning look on my face.

This clearly wasn't right.

"Hey Mikey, it's true isn't it?" Luke smiled wide at my friend.

"Wh-hat is true?" Michael shuddered as he glanced up at the blue eyed boy on my right.

"That you are gay."

Michael almost dropped the tin of Milo he had in his hands. Calum spotted this, stole the tin and began to frantically pry open the tin with his fingers.

Michael stood with his mouth agape, his words came out in a mess - all mashed together to form an incoherent sentence.

I leant closer to Michael, as he was only just over the bench. I grabbed onto his hand, for support initially, but also so Ashton would stop staring at Michael weirdly.

Michael seemed to compose himself quickly, he looked me right in the eye and admitted to Luke's earlier statement. "Yeah, I am."

Calum had a mouthful of Milo, he waved a spoon about. "Fine with me," came out more of a mumble as he struggled to keep the malt in his mouth.
He was going to choke if he kept going.

"Why didn't you tell me? Tell us?" Ashton questioned slight hurt displayed across his features.

Michael looked on the verge of tears, his hand was squeezing my tightly, he seemed scared of judgement.

Michael pulled his eyes away from mine, the second he did something snapped within him. "Fück you!" He yelled at nobody in general. Michael snatched his hand out of mine quickly and stormed towards the front door.

Everyone was quite shocked at his sudden anger. I was certainly. "I'm gonna go do gay stuff!" He yelled once again before slamming the door behind him. Ashton winced at his door being slammed as hard as Michael had. I suspected there would be a crack of some sort in the white wood.

I picked up my jacket that lay on the bench and stood up. "I'm gonna go after him, see if he's alright." I pulled my arms through the sleeves.

"No!" Ashton and Luke protested at the same moment. Ashton glared at Luke and began to reason with me.

"He's clearly angry, you should let him go or..." Ashton trailed off as his excuse for me to stay wasn't that good.

"Or what Ash?" I threw my hands up in the air, he just couldn't give Michael a break. "He won't do anything, he is my BEST friend!" I found myself following Michael's footsteps out the door.

I jogged down the stairs to see Michael staring at his bike on the ground. He looked sad. Michael lifted his head to see me as I walked to my motorbike. He seemed as if he was about to speak - I cut in sharply to stop him from talking as he looked like he was about to cry again.

I swung my leg over the seat and pulled on my helmet, I fiddled with the strap. "Do you want a ride?" I smiled at him. His pale skin seemed even paler in the bright Australian sun.

He nodded and got on the back on the bike. He didn't like to have a helmet on, I knew Michael always complained that it messed his hair up. It was probably illegal, dangerous and very stupid - but hey, it was a big city full of some crazy dangerous (in the good way) people.

I started my bike and pulled out into the street. Michael's arms were clasped around my waist tightly - he probably wasn't keen on falling off. The force of the wind in my face felt comforting, but not as much as Michael's head - which rested ever so lightly on my shoulder. If it weren't for the warmth of his body against my back and his hands around my waist I wouldn't even know he was there. Not because he was invisible but because he seemed so aloof and distant at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if he just floated away like a jellyfish...that can swim in air particles.

"Pull in here," Michael mumbled against my shoulder, it sent a signal through my body as if to say he was there, despite my earlier thoughts.

I pulled into a parking spot nearby the pharmacy. He got off my motorbike and glanced back at me to follow. I pulled the keys out, threw my helmet over the handle and ran after him.

I found him in his own little heaven.

Yes.

The hair dye section.

He scanned his eyes over the boxes thoughtfully. All the boxes had pictures of girls on the front with wildly coloured hair. I picked up light pastel pink and grazed my eyes over the instructions.

"I'm not actually gay, you know?" Michael said nonchalantly as he inspected a box of purple hair dye.

"What?" I didn't think so, uh uh.

"I mean," Michael searched for his words as he picked up a more natural brown colour. "There was a time where I had trouble figuring out wether I was or not. But I only said 'yes' to get Ashton off my back. It was getting annoying."

My smile grew larger until I was laughing with Michael in the middle of the pharmacy. "You're so smart sometimes Mikey, I love that about you." I clutched at my stomach.

"I love you," Michael whispered. I passed it off as I thought I was hearing things.

"You should be rebel and get pink streaks," Michael pointed to the box in my hand. "It'll piss Ashton off."

What do I live for? Oh yeah, annoying Ashton was my sole purpose in life.

"Sure, if you go brown," I dared.

"Challenge accepted," Michael grinned some more.

There was always something about him when he smiled. I always found myself smiling too.

[x]