Jet Black Heart

»Ashlee«

"See a war, I wanna fight it."

The bustling sound of the city collided with my thoughts. I inhaled the smokey and polluted air along with the muskiness of an old building. The smell that came with peeling wallpaper, leaky plumbing staining the ceiling, a broken air conditioner and old sheets. I sat on the balcony to try and escape it, keeping the sliding door open to air out the room, which I suspected hadn't happened in a while. I pulled my legs to my chest, sitting on the small table as the chair had a massive hole in it.

I watched the cars speed up and down the small alleyway next to this dodgy hotel. I liked the place, it was full of character, and rats as well. Josh had found one in his room and complained about the budget cuts due to the management unsuspectingly putting in another venue last minute. The restaurant downstairs looked very clean and nice. The shiny back Maserati outside the place told us the owner wasn't interested in investing back into the hotel though. I heard laughing echoing through the room as the walls were thin and you could practically hear everything. I was glad our room was the furthest away from the blue forest boys as their music was heard throughout the whole hotel. It was slightly fainter from where mine and Calum's room was positioned. Sadly it was next to Michael and Lana's room and I kept running into him.

I'm not even getting into mentioning the college styled communal bathroom. It had dodgy locks that seemed to be hanging by the remains of a rusty screw. The laughing started up again and my ears picked up on a distinct and familiar laugh. Michael. He hadn't said a word to me since I broke up with him two weeks ago. He hadn't even looked at me. I was fine with that, I wasn't worth his time, I didn't deserve him for what I did. A door slammed and I looked back into the room to see Calum had walked in. He had a glare set into his eyes and a frown shaping the rest of his face. I went to ask what was wrong but he stormed to the other side of the room, turning on the air conditioner to add to the static sound of his anger. I got up and walked over to the other side of the room, cautiously approaching him.

He had already pulled his shirt off and was staring into the mirror (that sat beside the beds) menacingly. His honey brown eyes captured mine in the reflection of the mirror. His face softened slightly as he turned to speak to me. He still held that slight rage in his eyes. "That's it Ashlee. No more of this. Go grab that cute dress out of your bag, put on your makeup and do your hair. No more giving the impression that you don't care about yourself, because you do, you should. I do."

I looked down at the baggy jumper and ripped jeans I was wearing. "Is that why you're angry? Are we going out?" I trusted Calum. He was my best friend... well kind of my only friend at the moment. There was Luke but all his spare time was spent with Vis, in privacy of course. A smirk developed on Calum's face as he neared me. He put his soft hands on my shoulders. I couldn't help but stare at Calum's bare and toned chest, probably because he was right in front of me. It's was a contrast to seeing Michael's porcelain white skin that I had fallen in love with.

Calum ignored my first question, I could tell something was slowly stewing inside that head of his. "We're having pizza downstairs with the others." I gave him a warning look, the others? That means Michael and Lana. I would have to sit there while they're all over one another. Lana hanging off Michael's arm like a boa constrictor that showed no signs of letting go. Calum simply smiled as if he knew what was racing through my mind, or maybe he was still plotting.

I knew I was bad for Michael, I kept hurting him. It was alright if he hurt me everyday for the rest of my life by being with Lana, it would never add up to how much I hurt him. There was no fixing it this time. I knew that. I cut loose all hope to fixing anything when I gave him those bracelets back. Calum gave me a look and I moved. It was nice, to take a warm shower (even in the communal bathrooms) and distract myself from my thoughts by putting on my makeup and doing my hair back in the room. Calum helped put my hair up into a bun. His warm hands would brush the nape of my neck now and then, causing a shock to go down my spine.