Try Hard

»Ashlee«

"It's stuff like this that makes me wish that I could change somehow."

(Ashton)

Ash: there's band practice in 20 mins

Lee: I'm not coming

Ash: why not?

Lee: bc

Ash: we need you to tell us how bad we are so we actually rehearse

Lee: I don't feel like it

Ash: be there. 20 mins. we have a new band member

Lee: who???

Ash: come, then you'll know

I placed my phone in my pocket while I sat on the ground of the tree house. I didn't want to go to band practice. Michael would be there. It would still be slightly awkward after he ran off just after he arrived at the tree house.

I still had no idea why he ran away, an hour later I was still sitting in the tree house with confusion set in my mind. I picked myself off the floor and began my descent down the ladder. I skipped the last few rungs and jumped to the ground. I went over to my motorbike and swung my leg over it.

I strapped my helmet on, I was soon soaring down the main street in order to get to my brother's house. I tried to focus on my driving but it was hard, the whole time I was imagining my encounter-to-come with Michael. I also wondered who was in the band, and why Ashton had been so insistent on me going to band rehearsal.

I pulled my motorbike into Ashton's driveway. I could see the garage door clearly open, Calum was picking at the strings on base as he leant back on the dingy old couch. I made my way up the drive and threw my helmet onto the couch as my eyes adjusted to the darker light.

"Hey," Calum spoke, looking up from his guitar.

"Hey, cal." I replied, looking around the garage.

Nothing had really changed. Ash still had the blink-182 and ATL posters pinned up to the walls. Ashton was banging on his drums slightly in the corner, playing around with different beats. Michael was sitting cross-legged on the rug. He had his phone in his hands and refused to make eye contact with me. I saw his white guitar conveniently by his side.

There was a boy in the corner looking awkwardly around as he tried to figure out what to do. His guitar was slung over his back, the strap pulling his shirt tight against his chest.

"Luke?"

His blue eyes found their way to me. "Well, this whole thing is a massive coincidence." He laughed.

Michael scoffed.

Ashton stepped in. "I got talking to Luke on the street, he said he could play so I asked him to come to practice."

Well, the guy that happened to be my roommate Ashton just had to run into.

Luke smiled at me. "Are you related to Ashton or something? because you look sort of similar." Luke looked between me and my brother.

"They're siblings, you doofus." Michael lifted his head from his phone, only to glare at Luke for a moment. The dyed-blonde boy returned to the endless scrolling on his phone.

"Oh, that makes sense."

Ashton put down his drumsticks for a minute, "wait, how do you know my sister Luke?"

"She's my roomie." He sent a wink in my direction. Causing my cheeks to light up with a red glow.

"Daym," Calum whispered. "I can't wait for his nudes to get leaked."